Club Sports: Men's hockey splits weekend

Men's Ice Hockey

Irish sophomore forward Juan Carlos Tellez fired a shot through traffic that squeaked under the pads of the Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne goaltender with 0.8 seconds remaining in overtime to give Notre Dame a 3-2 victory over the Mastodons on Saturday night in Fort Wayne, Ind. The goal gave the Irish a split in the weekend series, as IPFW bested the Irish 5-4 in overtime the night before.

Before Tellez's game-winner on Saturday, junior forward Mike Marino staked the Irish to a 1-0 lead early in the second period after blocking a shot and racing in alone fon a breakaway. Marino faked left and slipped a wrist shot around the prone IPFW goaltender. After the Mastodons tied the game early in the third, senior forward Conor Kelly put the Irish up again, corralling the rebound of a shot bm junior forward Danny Lempres. For the second night in a row, however, IPFW rallied with a goal in the third period to send the game to overtime. 

Irish sophomore goaltender Nick Stasack made a number of acrobatic saves to keep the game tied before Tellez's last-second heroics.

On Friday, the Irish fell 5-4 in overtime after digging out of a 3-0 first-period hole. Senior defenseman Tomas Abrate found the net three times for the Irish, while senior forward Victor LeVasseur contributed a goal.

Women's Ice Hockey

Notre Dame hosted the Kalamazoo Wicked at the Compton Family Ice Arena on Sunday, earning a 4-1 victory. Sophomore Lauren Garatoni opened the scoring for the Irish, receiving a pass from fellow sophomore Alex Stern behind the net and firing the puck over the Wicked goalkeeper's left pad. The Wicked retaliated with a goal just 42 seconds later.  For the rest of the period, the teams spent much of the time in the neutral zone, but with only 56.8 seconds remaining in the period and 54.8 seconds left on the power play, senior Meaghan Ayers put the Irish back on top. With a little give-and-go from sophomore Madison Ratycz, Ayers wristed the puck over the goalie's glove. Halfway through the second period, Stern found herself in the slot after receiving a tape-to-tape pass from junior Suzanne Fitzpatrick and fired the puck over the goalie's glove. With 8:51 left in the game, the Garatoni-Stern-Fitzpatrick line combined again for l passing play that ended in a goal from Stern to seal the 4-1 Irish win. The gams markes the first career start ane first career win for St. Mary's freshman goalkeeper Madeline Kramer. The Irish will next compete on the weekend of Feby 7-9, wheh Michigan State and UW-Madison traveling to the Compton Family Ice Arena.

Women's Club Volleyball

Notre Dame attended the Wolverine Winter Classic in Ann Arbor, Mich., last weekend. Ranked third in their pool, the Irish concluded the tournament with a third-place finish in the 12-team field

Tournament Results

Pool Play

Michigan A - Split - 14-25, 25-22 

Eastern Michigan - W - 25-16, 25-12 

Saginaw Valley - W - 25-15, 25-12 

Gold Bracket

Bowling Greee B - W - 25-15, 25-20

Grand Valley State A - L - 13-25, 25-23, 12-15 

Women's Figure Skating

Notre Dame tied for second place last weekend at its first competition of the season, the Dr. Richard Porter Synchronized Classid in Ann Arbor, Mich. The Irish competed against nine other college teams, finishing behind Lindenwood and tying with Minnesota-Duluth. The Irish displayed their new program, a fun compilation of songs by The Temptations, for the first time this weekens. The team had two falls in the opening warm-up block before its program began. Once the music started, however, the Irish were able to shake off the nerves and skate clean with lots of energy. The team will continue working very hard to prepare for its next competition, the Mid-America Synchronized Skating Championships in Fraser, Mich. on Jan. 11.