Football: Martin to coach Miami

Irish offensive coordinator Chuck Martin accepted the head coaching position at Miami (Ohio) on Tuesday, ending a four-year run as a Notre Dame assistant coach.

"Just a great opportunity from a head coaching standpoint," Martin said to Irish Illustrated. "Great school, cradle of coaches, AraParseghian, Bo Schembechler, Woody Hayes, there's a lot that goes along with it."

Martin served as a defensive coordinator under Irish coach Brian Kelly while at Grand Valley State and succeeded him as head coach when Kelly left for Central Michigan. Martin was the head coach of Grand Valley State for six seasons before rejoining Kelly in South Bend.

Martin will become Kelly's second offensive coordinator to leave the program in the last three seasons.

At Notre Dame, Martin initially coached defensive backs before moving to the other side of the ball following former offensive coordinator Charley Molnar's departure to Massachusetts.

"(Kelly) has always been the same on you've gotta make decisions in the best interests of your family and think it's in the best interests of your career, even though we don't have a crystal ball on where things can take you," Martin said to Irish Illustrated. "He understands making decisions in the best interests of your family is what it's always about."

In a statement released by Miami (Ohio), Athletics Director David Sayler said Martin was a good fit with the school.

"When I laid out the criteria that Miami was looking for in its next head football coach, it aligns perfectly with Chuck Martin," Sayler said. "Coach Martin comes on board with a plan that will succeed here at Miami, while embracing the academic mission of this university at the same time, We are excited to welcome him and his family to Oxford."

In the same statement, Martin said he was excited to join the program.

"I am excited to be joining the Miami football family and want to thank David Sayler for this incredible opportunity," Martin said. "I look forward to getting back to the excellence Miami stands for and am excited to hit the ground running."

According to CSN Chicago, Kelly said wide receivers coach Mike Denbrock would be the offensive coordinator for Notre Dame's bowl game. The Irish have yet to accept a bid to a bowl game.

Golson to be readmitted soon

In an interview with ESPN.com, Kelly said suspended quarterback Everett Golson should be readmitted to the University on Dec. 13.

"I've been assured that based upon all of the information that has been provided that he's going to be re-admitted on Dec. 13, and that information has been provided to admissions and it's just a matter of them sending out the admittance letter and then him being back on campus sometime around the 15th of December," Kelly said to ESPN.com.

While Golson would be eligible to practice with the Irish before the bowl game, Kelly said the short timeframe between his return and the bowl game would likely prevent that.

Kelly also said Golson would not be able to travel with the team to the bowl game.

In leading an undefeated 2012 campaign, Golson threw for 2,405 yards with 12 touchdowns and six interceptions. He added 298 yards and six scores on the ground.

Golson is expected to assume the starting quarterback position in the spring although Kelly has said it would be a competition with freshman quarterback Malik Zaire. Golson will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Contact Matthew DeFranks at mdefrank@nd.edu