-

-

Professors experiement with new technology

Gabriela Malespin | Monday, December 9, 2013

Notre Dame’s Center for Digital Scholarship hosted a workshop on high-resolution digital panorama photography Friday.

The new program incorporates elongated and interactive digital images that professors hope to utilize in academic disciplines such as architecture, archeology and anthropology.  

The workshop was hosted by Paul Turner from the Office of Internet Technology, Eric Nisly, from CurateND, David Hernandez, an associate professor in the Department of Classics, and Matthew Sisk from the Center for Digital Scholarship.

The men performed a hands-on demonstration of the high resolution technology and how it can be used use in an academic setting.

“It’s a very modern technology, one that has only been used for the past four or five years,” Hernandez said. “I’m always trying to find ways to record the archeological site as best as possible. Archeology is a non-repeatable enterprise and information from the excavation is dependent on how much is recorded.”

Hernandez said he used this technology in his archeological investigation in Butrint, Albania with funding from ISLA and OIT.

“I have no doubt that this technology is going to become a central component of all archeological excavations in the near future,” Hernandez said. “The photographic potential of it is extraordinary.”

Hernandez said the workshop included gigapan technology, a new type of visual technology that gives an interactive visual interface and provides highly detailed resolutions of different aspects in an image.

Meanwhile, Sisk said collaborating with others has helped him see the value in the new technology.

“Where I came from I was the only person who even knew what this technology was,” he said. “To come here and find people who are already entrenched in this technology not only for science but also for archeology and anthropology is really great.”

Hernandez said he and other members of the University are collaborating to launch a website under the Department of Classics that will continue to implement and promote this technology and showcase the gigapan images taken at the Butrint archeological site.

James Belushi, a participant in the workshop said he could apply the lesssons from the demonstration to his interests.

“I think it was a great experience to see how this technology can be used in a very real world way,” Beluhsi said “It’s a submersive experience.”

Contact Gabriella Malespin at gmalespi@nd.edu.