Monday, March 18, 2024

Women's Swimming: ND dominates at Hawkeye Invite

Notre Dame continued its strong fall season with a dominant win in the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa over the weekend.
After starting the season 0-3 with losses to several ranked opponents, the Irish rattled off four straight dual-meet victories before this past weekend's performance, which saw the Irish win by 80.5 points, their largest margin of victory all season.
The three-day-meet began Friday, and Notre Dame wasted no time in establishing itself as it won four of the day's six events and jumped out to a 28-point lead.
Irish junior Emma Reaney set a meet and pool record in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1:55.65 and then won the event later that night. Irish junior diver Allison Casareto also captured the 1-Meter dive title.
 The team also claimed two relay victories in the 200-yard freestyle and 400-yard medley relay. The 200-yard freestyle team consisted of Reaney, seniors Christen McDonough and Kelly Ryan and sophomore Catherine Galleti. The 400-yard medley team of Reaney, Ryan, junior Courtney Whyte and freshman Katie Miller set a meet record with a time of 3:36.84.
The Irish won two more events on Saturday and expanded their lead to 82.5 points over Boise State and Nebraska. The team of Reaney, Galletti, Ryan, and freshman Catherine Mulquin took home the 200-yard medley relay, but the star of the day was Miller, who set a meet record in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:12.06.
On Sunday, Notre Dame wrapped up the victory, led by Reaney's record-breaking performance in the 200-yard breaststroke. After a rare loss in the 100-yard breaststroke the night before, Reaney set a meet record in the preliminary race with a time of 2:07.64. Reaney followed up that performance by shattering her own record and swimming the fastest 200-yard breaststroke in the country with a time of 2:05.85. While Reaney stole the show, senior Christen McDonough also placed third in the event with a time of 2:13.79.
In the 200-yard butterfly, the Irish had four swimmers finish in the top six, led by a one-two finish by junior Bridget Casey and Miller at 1:57.62 and 1:58.70, respectively. Whyte and junior Melissa Scott placed fourth and sixth, respectively.
Notre Dame took second and third place in the 200-yard backstroke behind Ryan and Miller, and three Irish divers placed in the top 10 in the platform dive. Sophomore Lindsey Streepey recorded the highest Irish finish in the event, placing third with a score of 241.55.
With the win in the Hawkeye Invitational, the Irish concluded their fall season. Their next meet will be Jan. 11th against Northwestern and Michigan in Evanston, Ill., for a dual meet.