2014 Outs & Ins at ND

WEB_Banner_Outs&InsND

January is an exciting time for journalists. It gives us the opportunity to lament and brutally criticize everything that went wrong last year and give uninformed opinions about what we think is going to be big this upcoming year. At The Observer, we decided to do both in one article. Here’s Scene’s list for what’s in and what’s out at Notre Dame and around the entertainment industry this upcoming semester.

Breaking Bad / House of Cards

“Breaking Bad” is over, so quit saying how awesome it is. Instead, you should catch up with “House of Cards” on Netflix, the most intense political drama series in recent years. The second season will be released in its entirety on February 14th. What better way to spend Valentine’s Day than binge-watching a TV show in your dimly lit dorm room all by your lonesome?

Adidas / Under Armour

With the athletic department’s announcement yesterday that Under Armour will be the official merchandiser of the Fighting Irish starting in July, campus style is going to change. No longer will Adidas’ logo grace every single article of clothing that you wear. Prepare instead to be surrounded by Under Armour’s proud sigil the next time you walk into the bookstore.

Iron Man / Guardians of the Galaxy

Let’s face it, the superhero movie genre is oversaturated. Iron Man himself has already appeared in five Marvel films since 2008. “Guardians of the Galaxy” will throw away the overused comic book hero formula. Instead, it incorporate elements of the space opera genre while still retaining what makes these movies fun. Additionally, Bradley Cooper voices a genetically-engineered vermin known as “Rocket Raccoon” and Vin Diesel gives life to Groot, an extraterrestrial, sentient tree warrior, so you know this movie is going to be good.

Lorde / Adele

Lorde may still be near at the top of the charts, but Adele is preparing to release the follow-up to 2011’s massively successful album “21.” Very few concrete details have emerged, but a host of talented artists and producers are reportedly working with her, including James Ford, William Orbit, Kid Harpoon, and so many others. Wiz Khalifa has also announced that Adele is collaborating with him on his new album, so chances are she is going to be all over the radio this year.

Spending Saturdays at Football Games / Spending Saturdays at Alternative Athletic Events

The football team’s victory in the Pinstripe Bowl represents an end to spending your Saturdays at the Stadium packed in with 80,000 of your closest friends, and an opportunity to check out all the other fun sporting affairs on campus. Just this weekend alone, the hockey, track and field, women’s basketball teams all have events on campus. These are all great programs and fun events to go to, and a nice break from dorm parties.