Answers on lawsuit funding

| Thursday, January 16, 2014

On Dec. 3, 2013, The Observer printed my Letter to the Editor, “Funding Sources for Reported Lawsuits.” I questioned whether the University would be using funds from students and other sources in its reported repeat litigation against the federal government over objections to certain requirements in the Affordable Care Act.
I heard from a University spokesman almost immediately about the fees part of the University’s most recent lawsuit. I was advised that the University’s fees will be handled pro bono by the law firm representing the University.
However, the University spokesman truthfully did not know who is responsible for the costs of the University’s litigation. All lawsuits involve costs, I explained. For example, filing fees, court reporter fees, service of process fees and invoices all represent costs of litigation.
Time will tell.
My thanks to The Observer for printing my original Letter to the Editor in December, and to the University Spokesman for advising me so promptly of the answer to my questions concerning the University’s litigation fees, as well as candidly advising me that he simply did not know the answer to my question of who is funding the costs of the lawsuit being conducted in the name of the University of Notre Dame.

Dennis J. Wall, Esquire

Dennis Wall
Class of 1973
Jan. 17

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com