Women’s Swimming

Bradford values role as teammate

| Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Being part of a team goes hand in hand with being an athlete, and it’s no different for Irish sophomore Genevieve Bradford.

“My favorite part about swimming is my teammates,” Bradford said.

Since Bradford started swimming several years ago on a summer league team in sunny Southern California, her teammates have continued to enhance her experience swimming, she said. Even after many years, and now as part of Notre Dame’s roster, Bradford still appreciates her teammates above all else.

“Our team gets along really well, both in and out of the water, which is my favorite part about the team,” Bradford said.

With such positive relationships permeating through the team, Bradford said a significant contributor to an upbeat team dynamic is support.

“We all wrote out both swimming and life goals and posted them in our locker room,” she said. “Having our goals public to the team helps us support each other.”

But the benefit Bradford receives from interacting with her teammates isn’t one-way, she said. They need her, as well.

“Genevieve never fails to make me and everyone else smile,” junior Emma Reaney said. “She has the strangest, most random and best sense of humor, and I love having her as a teammate and a roommate.”

Bradford’s quirky sense of humor doesn’t just keep her teammates laughing outside of the water. Her spunk also helps her teammates when they compete in the pool.

“She never takes herself or swimming too seriously, which is something that we need on a team to keep us from getting in our heads,” Reaney said.

Even Bradford admits she likes to keep it light and relaxed before each meet and race.

“I like to have fun and keep a positive mindset,” she said.

Bradford specializes in the breaststroke, but she is extremely flexible in the races in which she competes.

“I like to swim different events, which helps to keep me motivated and switch things up from time to time,” Bradford said.

Much like her humor, her ability to swim multiple events also helps the team.

“She’s so versatile in the water and really adds to our depth,” Reaney said.

Bradford eagerly looks to apply her versatility toward the team’s efforts of accomplishing its goals on the season as the newest member of the ACC.

“Having just switched to the ACC, our team wants to hold our own and be a good competitor,” Bradford said.

Bradford said she has high hopes for the Irish as they head toward the postseason.

“The whole team has been working really hard this year, and as we head into our championship season, I think our hard work will pay off,” she said.

Bradford and the Irish take that determined mentality forward as they prepare for the Shamrock Invitational on Jan. 31 and Feb. 1 at Rolfs Aquatic Center.

Contact Kit Loughran at kloughr1@nd.edu

About Kit Loughran

My name is Kit Loughran, and I am a senior at the University of Notre Dame. I am a Marketing major and Journalism minor. I write for the Sports Department of The Observer and cover Men's Soccer, Lacrosse, and Golf.

Contact Kit