Circle K serves community beyond

Saint Mary’s Circle K chapter participates in weekly community service projects that serve the South Bend community, from tutoring and providing meals at the South Bend Center for the Homeless, to working with the St. Vincent de Paul Society and hosting a variety of events for The Sisters of the Holy Cross Covenant located on the Saint Mary’s Campus.

Junior Jaclyn Voltz, president of Circle K, said the organization, sponsored by Kiwanis International, chooses volunteer projects based on certain goals.

“Circle K clubs focus on the three tenets of service, fellowship and leadership,” she said.

Voltz said the goal of the club is to give back to the South Bend community.

“Service is the heart of Saint Mary’s College Circle K,” she said. “We are dedicated to providing a variety of service opportunities that reflect the interests of our members and the needs of the South Bend community.

“There are service projects each week varying in date, time, length and focus. Our projects span a wide range of interests including children, education, healthcare, elderly, hunger, housing, animal care and environmental issues.”

Voltz said one of the club’s regular activities is assisting nuns at the Sisters of the Holy Cross Convent on campus.

“Every Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Circle K volunteers go to the Sisters of the Holy Cross Convent to socialize with the nuns and provide activities for the sisters – game show nights, craft projects, Notre Dame football tailgate parties, bingo and social nights,” she said.

“The sisters truly appreciate the company and have so many incredible stories to share. Circle K members are also active at the Center for the Homeless preparing and serving meals.”

Kathleen Dunn, a first year student and Circle K member, said she enjoys volunteering with the club because the activities are “creative.”

“During the fall semester we hosted a milkshake and Pictionary night, as well as a reverse Trick or Treat session for the sisters. … Volunteering with Circle K at the convent is a great way to connect with women who have lived adventurous and meaningful lives. They have a lot to teach us.”

According to the Circle K website, upcoming events include the Hannah & Friends Karaoke Night and the Chicago March for Babies, a walk that will take place on the lakefront trail in Chicago on April 26.

For those interested in joining the club, the group meets weekly on Monday nights at 8:00 p.m. in the Le Mans Hall basement, according to the Circle K website.