Incoming Editor-in-Chief names supporting staff

| Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Brian Hartnett, Isaac Lorton, Kevin Song and Samantha Zuba have been hired to help oversee The Observer’s editorial operations in 2014-15, incoming Editor-in-Chief Ann Marie Jakubowski announced Wednesday.

Hartnett will serve as Managing Editor, the no. 2 spot at the paper, while Lorton, Song and Zuba will serve as Assistant Managing Editors. They begin their new roles March 17.

As Managing Editor, Hartnett will be responsible for assisting Jakubowski in supervising The Observer’s editorial departments. A junior majoring in marketing with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy, Hartnett is a resident of Carroll Hall currently studying abroad in London.

The Clark, N.J., native served as The Observer’s interhall editor in Fall 2012 and covered Notre Dame women’s basketball on its run to the Final Four in 2013. He also served as a beat writer for Notre Dame women’s soccer and women’s lacrosse, among other sports.

“The Observer has been a major part of my Notre Dame experience, and I want to give back to all those who help make the paper a daily reality by helping to steer it to an even more promising future,” Hartnett said.

Lorton is a junior majoring in the Program of Liberal Studies with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. Lorton is a Keenan Hall resident currently studying abroad in London. A native of Prescott Valley, Ariz., he serves as an assistant sports editor and covered men’s soccer’s road to winning the national championship, as well as hockey and baseball.

“I am extremely excited to help The Observer in any way I can with passion and dedication,” Lorton said.

Song is a junior majoring in finance and computer applications and living off campus. Hailing from Green Brook, N.J., he currently serves as the Online Editor and Associate Photo Editor and led the project to launch the new website for The Observer.

“There’s been a lot of push to improving the online presence for newspapers worldwide, and I’m excited to be able to help The Observer enhance the web experience,” Song said.

Zuba is a junior majoring in English with minors in German and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. The Wheeling, Ill., native lives in Breen-Phillips Hall and sings in Notre Dame’s Women’s Liturgical Choir. Zuba has covered women’s basketball, men’s soccer and women’s tennis beats while also serving as Baraka Bouts editor this fall. This summer, she will intern with the L.A. Times sports department.

“I am really looking forward to working closely with our individual staff members to create the best possible product for our readers,” Zuba said.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report