-

-

Time for Muffet to switch teams

| Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fresh off an impressive victory over a perennial top-10 foe, the Irish women’s basketball team continues its undefeated season and march towards an unprecedented fourth straight Final Four. Irish coach Muffet McGraw instills determination, unselfishness and consistency both in the regular and postseason, with Irish fans being treated to some of the best basketball in the country.
If only we could say the same about the men’s program. Two years into a 10-year contract extension, coach Mike Brey has his team on track for the NIT with his yearly win at home against a top-10 team. I’m vividly aware of the excuses — lost his best player, can’t recruit blue chips to ND, lack of facilities, etc. One could argue the validity if it wasn’t Brey’s 14th season under the dome, as Irish fans have watched regional teams such as Butler, IU and Marquette surge in the postseason. Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick said at the time of the extension that he believed Brey could win an NCAA championship. Don’t bet on it.
With the two programs headed in opposite directions, it’s time for Muffet to switch teams. Coach McGraw, please coach the men’s team. We’re begging you. Please teach the men’s team toughness, grit, desire — all of the characteristics demonstrated by your women every time they take the floor. Your commitment to recruiting and postseason consistency is second to none, and this is desperately needed on the other side of the Joyce Center. So what do you say?

Andy Scott
alumnus
Class of 2009
Jan. 21

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com