-

-

SMC Tennis

Belles hit road after home loss

| Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Belles will look to get back to winning ways Saturday when they travel to Grand Rapids, Mich., to take on Aquinas in a non-conference contest.

Saint Mary’s (1-1) opened its spring season with a 7-2 home defeat to Ohio Northern last Friday. While the Belles got promising victories at No. 1 singles from senior Mary Catherine Faller and No. 6 singles from sophomore newcomer Andrea Fetters, Belles coach Dale Campbell said the Belles need to continue to improve through these early-season contests.

“We were a little tentative early [in our match against Ohio Northern],” Belles coach Dale Campbell said. “It was our first match, but I have to get them more prepared [moving forward].”

While the Belles dropped decisions in all three doubles matches last week, they led at one point in all three and Campbell said the difference came down to positioning, which will be another area for future improvement.

On the other side of the net, Aquinas (1-0) opened its season last weekend with a 9-0 road sweep of Alma in which it won five of the nine matches by at least two breaks in each set. Saints senior Lauren Ramey played at No. 1 singles last weekend for Aquinas and needed three sets to win her match in the only three-set match of the day. Ramey figures to be Faller’s match-up when the teams meet this weekend.

The Belles will make the visit to Grand Rapids, Mich., on Saturday to battle the Saints, with the first serve scheduled for 6:00 p.m.

Contact Alex Carson at acarson1@nd.edu

Tags: , , , , ,

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex