-

-

Candidate Profile: Campbell/McCabe

| Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Who they are: This year’s incarnation of the annual Zahm House ticket, freshmen Sean Campbell and George McCabe are upfront about their lack of qualifications for the positions but said they still believe they could be adequate leaders for the student body. Campbell is running for president and McCabe for vice president.

“We have no real experience to speak of,” McCabe said. “We don’t have a lot of skills.”

First priority: After debating whether to prioritize a trip to Disneyland or Disney World, the two agreed their first act in office would be a nap.

“We could probably just nap on the way to Disneyland and then just stay on vacation for the rest of our term,” McCabe said.

Top priority: Replacing the current alma mater with the “Batman Theme” song.

“Coach Kelly is a real fan,” Campbell said. “We know tradition is important and all, but that tune still fits nicely with the standing and swaying thing.”

When asked whether they’d push for students to be allowed to sing the “Batman Theme” with the players after a home football loss, McCabe said they were willing to leave that decision to the coaches.

Best Idea: None

Worst Idea: Launching a study abroad program exclusively for Saint Mary’s students in Zahm House. McCabe said it would be open to students of all majors and could enroll students for up to a decade.

Most feasible: None

Least feasible: Campbell said he hopes to usher in another licensing switch from the new Under Armour contract to Wrangler Jeans. Because of the jeans’ classic, comfortable fit, he said he sees them as better suited for the athletic teams’ needs.

McCabe said he is not worried about the 10-year contract with Under Armour because “there are always loopholes in those things, so it shouldn’t be a problem.”

Notable quote: “The only thing that would set me apart from the other candidates would be my massive seashell collection.” — McCabe

Fun Fact: Campbell and McCabe claim to be sponsored by Club Fever. When asked why the South Bend establishment decided to endorse them, Campbell reported that the club representative told them, “Yeah, this looks real.”

Bottom line: McCabe told The Observer he anticipates the most challenging part of the job will be the “things that are difficult,” including showing up for work and having to complete projects.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report