Friday, May 10, 2024

ND dives for ACC Championship

A year removed from a strong finish in its final Big East Championships, Notre Dame will compete in its first ACC Diving Championships from Thursday through Saturday at the Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, N.C.

Each of the three days of competition consists of two six-dive rounds, a preliminary in the morning and finals in the afternoon. The men’s three-meter event will take place Thursday, followed by the one-meter Friday and the platform Saturday to close out the meet.

Freshman James Lichtenstein prepares to dive at the Shamrock Invitational on Jan. 31.

The points earned this weekend will combine with the points from next weekend’s ACC Swimming Championships to determine the overall conference champion.

All five Irish divers — juniors Nick Nemetz, Michael Kreft and Ted Wagner, along with freshmen Joe Coumos and James Lichtenstein — are entered to participate in all three events.

Kreft was named Big East Most Valuable Diver after finishing in the top six in every event at the 2013 Big East Championships, highlighted by his second-place finish in the three-meter dive. Nemetz took silver in the one-meter competition and placed in the top eight in all three events, as did Wagner.

Coumos claimed first place 12 times throughout the season, including four times when he swept the one-meter and three-meter events, and Lichtenstein competed in every meet this year.

Virginia Tech was the only team to place at least two of its divers in the top eight spots in every event at last year’s ACC Diving Championships, which included the two-meter springboard instead of the platform. Duke’s Nick McCrory, then a junior and a 2012 Olympic bronze medalist in the men’s synchronized 10-meter platform, swept first place across the board.