Rediscover Disney movies on Netflix

What better way to procrastinate than to revisit some classic Disney movies? Move over “American Horror Story” and “Gossip Girl,” an all-age appropriate movie should be your next date with your Netflix subscription. Here is a selection of Disney movies from the golden age of Disney (pre any Miley Cyrus affiliation) to remind you just how wonderful Disney really is. Also, it might just give you a good dose of nostalgia to add to your late-night quarter dog.

Hercules

Throw Greek and Roman mythology into a blender with Disney moral standards and you get “Hercules.” With a slew of slightly inappropriate and witty jokes, Hercules is even better to watch now that you’re all grown up. For example, when Hercules says, “That Oedipus thing … Man, I thought I had problems.” As a college student trying to figure out what to major in or what internship to apply for or what to do after graduation, it’s easy to sympathize with Hercules as he struggles to figure out where he fits in this world. With the humorous demons Pain and Panic, the mysterious, angsty Meg and the sarcastic, dry Hades, “Hercules” is the perfect Disney movie on your Netflix queue when you’re not feeling Feve on Thursday.

Standout songs: “Go the Distance,” “I Won’t Say I’m In Love”

Mulan

Girl power — all the way. Mulan not only is a role model for young girls, but for anyone. Pretending to be a man to save her ailing father from going to war, Mulan is brave, selfless and always keeps it classy. Per usual Disney fashion, she must eventually fall in love and have a happy fairytale ending. But before she gets some good old-fashioned love story, she brings down the Huns, led by the undeniably creepy Shan Yu. With a good amount of humor and inspirational moments, “Mulan” is an ideal soundtrack for late night homework. While studying for your next exam, Mulan should be playing on Netflix, keeping you company and reminding you to get down to business.

Standout songs: “I’ll Make a Man Out of You,” “Reflection”

The Emperor’s New Groove

Llamas are wonderful creatures. They look all cuddly and cute, but they’re actually pretty sassy. The same description holds true for Kuzco, an 18-year-old emperor of the Incan empire, when he is turned into a llama. Next time someone selfish, vain or arrogant walks into your life, instead of getting angry at them, just imagine them turning into llama. That’ll teach them a lesson. Next time your roommate forgets to ask you how you’re doing today, suggest she watches this classic film to remind her the importance of friendship and humility.

Standout songs: “My Funny Friend And Me,” “Perfect World”

Dumbo

Sometimes we are faced with an impossible task. We doubt our abilities. But how do you think a five-ton baby elephant felt when told he had to fly? Puts your problems in perspective. And hey, if Dumbo could jump from a tall building and fly around the circus, you can do some super special things too. Maybe you really should tryout for that Pasquerilla East Musical Company. Or at least ponder it. Maybe you can get an A in Organic Chemistry. Next time you doubt yourself, watch this movie instead. Remember, you are a baby elephant and you are unstoppable.

Standout songs: “When I See an Elephant Fly,” “Baby Mine”

The Fox and the Hound

You wanted to cry. So you watched “The Notebook.” Haven’t shed enough tears? Consider watching “The Fox and the Hound” if you want to continue crying. Copper, the hound and Tod, the fox, grow up together and become best friends. It’s a story of an unexpected friendship and a story of sacrifice, like when your best friend lives in Ryan Hall and you in Lewis Hall: The odds are against you and yet, you fight to make it work. However, sometimes in negative 20-degree weather, you are kept apart despite your good intentions.

Standout songs: “Best of Friends,” “Goodbye May Seem Forever”

The Aristocats

Two great things in one movie: adorable kittens and catchy music. The movie follows the cat Duchess and her three kittens, Marie, Toulouse and Berloiz who are the pampered pets of a retired opera singer. Inheritance debates ensue, per usual with the rich, and the cats are sent away so that their inheritance may be given to someone else. Gasp. The cats find their way back and meet some strays along the way and realize the importance of helping the less fortunate. If you are going on a SSLP this summer or want to be a veterinarian or are bored, watch this soon.

Standout songs: “Ev’rybody Wants to Be a Cat,” “Scales and Arpeggios”