-

-

scene

Rowling Hates Gingers

| Wednesday, February 5, 2014

gingers WEBKari O

J.K. Rowling’s comments about the romance between Ron and Hermione rocked the Muggle world this past weekend. In an interview for Wonderland magazine, Rowling admitted that she had Ron and Hermione end up together as a form of “wish fulfillment.”

“For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it,” Rowling said. “Hermione ended up with Ron.”

I can picture it now. Ron just bellowing, “Bloody hell, Rowling! This better be a JK!”

Is this an attempt to start a #TeamRon versus #TeamHarry war? Harry Potter is above that. The series focused on friendship and bravery, not love triangles. However, with Rowling pushing this idea into the foreground, what better time to reflect on the love that existed in the series?

To say that the sparks between Hermione and Ron were less heated than the flame of Ron’s hair isn’t giving the love story a fair shot. I remember how truly pained Hermione was after Ron insulted her by asking Fleur to the Yule Ball, then again while snogging with Lavender Brown. Those tears were genuine.

However, I believe Hermione had a lot more to offer than being someone’s wife.

Although her boys were both quality lovin’ options, one of the things I enjoyed most about the series was how Hermione was a brave, intelligent, and independent woman. Also, marrying off the two main characters would have been the typical love story, and Harry Potter characters should not do the expected.

Hermione and Ron fulfill the proven “opposites attract” theory. Hermione is high-strung, while Ron is relaxed. They keep each other in check. This is embodied in my favorite quote of the series, Hermione when told the boys, “If you two don’t mind, I’m going to bed before either of you come up with another clever idea to get us killed… or worse, expelled!” Ron then turned to Harry and said, “She needs to get her priorities straight.” Such a classic sequence. Ron and Hermione go together better than Malfoy and hair gel. Hermione sees things in Ron that others ignore and they both truly appreciate each other.

Now for Harry. Let’s start out with the obvious, I’m definitely not #TeamChoChang. I mean she chose Edward Cullen over Harry Potter… No, thank you.

I have to admit I found Ginny’s character to be rather irksome in the movies. Throughout the whole series she was always feeding him tiny pies, tying his shoes, or uttering awkward pickup lines in the Room of Requirement. Nevertheless, she was a fine choice for Harry’s love interest. He saved her life some and had nice hair.  Also, I can’t help but think that Harry kind of wanted to date Ron’s little sister to get back at Ron for making him a third-wheel.

Overall, I’m not sure why Rowling felt it necessary to bring up this apparent romantic blunder. It undermines the real themes of the story and threatens to drag it into Twilight-esque love triangle territory. She should have just kept this to herself. Think about all the redheaded men of the world who were empowered by Ron’s ability to land the best female fictional character ever! Do the gingers of the world a favor and don’t mess with the reds.

About Erin McAuliffe

I'm Scene's editor and a junior marketing & journalism student. To quote the exquisite Sadie Dupuis, "I'm not bossy — I'm the boss."

Contact Erin
  • Purgis

Ginny was a LOT better in the books. She was funny and daring, not awkward. She was pretty independent too because she swallowed the pain of being ignored by her true love and moved on. Harry is attracted to independent women, so this made him notice her better. The movies made it seem like Ginny was continuously hitting on Harry, which destroys the whole purpose of her actions in the books. To me it felt like in the movie she decided she wanted Harry and he just went with it without having strong feelings for her. It didn’t seem like the kind of relationship that would lead to marriage, unlike in the books where it is more believable.
    That said, I like Hermione much more than Ginny because she is better developed, and I like the Ron/Hermione couple more. They have chemistry and complete each other.

Rowling has said she loves red hair though, and dyed it red when she was younger. She made a whole family of redheads that pretty much everyone in the HP fandom loves, and also made Harry’s mother, an important figure embodying love and self-sacrifice, red-haired.

• Peony

I have no idea how you interpreted her comment as her hating gingers lol That seems to be your interpretation completely. All she did was write-in that the often overlooked and self-conscious Ron (for many reasons other than being ginger, including coming from a lower-class family) got together with a lovely and intelligent girl.