-

-

SMC Tennis

Saint Mary’s falls to Ohio Northern in spring opener

| Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Saint Mary’s struggled to close its matches Friday, falling 7-2 to the No. 13 regionally-ranked Ohio Northern in its spring opener.

The Belles fell behind early, failing to pull out a single triumph in the doubles matches after leading all three matches at one point.

At No. 1 doubles, the duo of senior Mary Catherine Faller and junior Kayle Sexton stalled one game away from a tiebreaker. They lost their serve in the final service game and dropped the match 9-7. At No. 2 doubles, juniors Shannon Elliott and Audrey Kiefer lost 8-6. At No. 3 doubles, sophomore Margaret Faller and freshman Sam Setterblad lost, 8-5.

Belles coach Dale Campbell said the positive take-aways for his team were its success in keeping up with the Polar Bears in terms of strokes, and its lead early in the match.

“They had a bit better teamwork and played closer to the net, picking off more offensive volleys than we did,” Campbell said. “We have the players to make some great doubles teams; however, we just have to have better positioning to end points.”

However, the Belles were able to snag a close victory on the day as Mary Catherine Faller defeated Polar Bears sophomore Christina Corbean 6-4, 6-4 at No. 1 singles.

“Mary Catherine [Faller] had a hard-fought victory,” Campbell said. “Both her and [Corbean] could make the other run, but she maintained an edge on most of the points. She has to continue to play aggressive as all her opponents will be tough.”

Sophomore Andrea Fetters notched the other win for the Belles at the No. 6 singles flight, picking up a comfortable 6-1, 6-2 decision over Polar Bears freshman Brittany Toney.

“Fetters controlled her opponent and won comfortably,” Campbell said. “She is very athletic and is tough to handle in [the No. 6 singles position] certainly.”

Campbell said he was happy with the efforts his team made on its first time out.

“I feel like the team gave their best effort,” Campbell said.

The Belles hit the court again Saturday as they travel to Grand Rapids, Mich. to take on Aquinas College at 6:00 p.m.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex