-

-

‘Show Some Skin’ encourages boldness

| Wednesday, February 26, 2014

“Show Some Skin: Be Bold,” a show comprised of anonymous monologue performances submitted by members of the Notre Dame community, will take place on Thursday and Friday of this week.

The show, now in its third year, allows students to anonymously share their views on topics revolving around personal identity.

The “Show Some Skin: Be Bold” production team prompted those who submitted monologues with questions designed to engage writers on how race, culture, nationality and sexuality intersect with identity, the show’s producer Edith Cho said. (Editor’s note: Edith Cho is a former Viewpoint columnist for The Observer.)

However, the anonymous submissions shape the theme of the event more closely than those involved in its production, Cho said. Junior Abigail Hebert, a performer in the show, said “Show Some Skin” is unique in its direct connection to the faculty, students and staff of Notre Dame.

“The plays I’ve performed in [as a Film, Television and Theater major] were written decades or centuries ago, so the playwright seems very removed, but for the monologues we’re using it could be written by someone sitting next to me,” Hebert said.

The show’s director and sophomore Clarissa Schwab said she hopes the show will ignite discussion within the Notre Dame community.

“We don’t want their experience to start and end with the top of the show and the end of the show, with the curtain rising and the curtain falling,” Schwab said.

“We want these topics to become integrated into the average Notre Dame conversation. We don’t want these stories or topics to be taboo anymore, we want to have them out in the open,” Schwab said.

Hebert said she hopes those who come to see the show will see the common humanity between themselves and those who submitted the monologues.

“There are levels on which we can connect and come together as a community and support each other, because we all feel lost,” Hebert said. “We all may be different but the bottom line is we are all a Notre Dame family.”

“Show Some Skin” is the first independent student group to be invited to perform at the DeBartolo Center for the Performing Arts, Cho said. Academic departments such as First Year of Studies and the Center for Social Concerns have also been utilizing the monologues submitted for this event, she said.

“The fact that [students] are willing to come gives us a lot of hope that they will bring these issues to action,” Cho said.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Madison Jaros

Contact Madison