SMC group hosts world cinema festival

This week, the College’s annual “World Cinema Festival” will emphasize women directors and strong female characters. Hosted by the Center for Womens Intercultural Leadership (CWIL) at Saint Mary’s, the weeklong series will feature five films in the Vander Valet Auditorium. Mana Derakhshani, associate director of CWIL, said a grant from Franco-American Cultural Exchange program called Tournées originally made the event possible. Since then, CWIL has been hosting this event every year. “This effort supports the internationalization of the campus in the curriculum with the Global Learning outcomes of the Sophia Program, in the increase in our study abroad opportunity in the expansion of exchange programs with international colleges and university,” Derakhshani said. According to a poster advertising the event, “The World Cinema Festival” will include the following films: “La Mujer sin Cabeza,” “The Indendies,” “A Separation,” “Talentine” and “Autumn Gem.” “La Mujer sin Cabeza” (the Headless Woman) is an Argentinean psychological-thriller film focusing on social class systems, and follows the life of a woman who after being impacted by an event becomes psychotic. The film records changes in Veronica’s psychological state after a life-changing incident. “The Indendies” is a Canadian film adapted from the play The Incendies focuses on the final wishes of a mother to send her two sons to the Middle East in search of their roots. “A Separation” is an Iranian film centers on the lives of an Iranian middle class couple who separate and have to deal with lower class care giver who cares for his father with Alzheimer’s. “Talentine” is a Malaysian comedy film about a group of young students who attempt to find their footing before stepping out into the real world. “Autumn Gem” is a Chinese documentary that explores the life of China’s first feminist Qiu Jem and her challenging traditional gender roles and demanding equal rights for women.

Following the screening of “The Indendies,” first-year Melissa Mendez spoke highly of the film. “I like the plot twist and the war that became part of the story,” Melissa Mendez said. “I loved the war and revolt attacks.” Each film shown in the Festival aims to expose viewers to issues faced by international countries and step into the shoes of unique characters, according to advertising for the event. “I hope that this provides students with the opportunity to learn about other parts of the world, hear languages other than English and discover the cinematic art beyond Hollywood-type films,” Derakhshani said.