Williamson, Babcock hit qualifying times

After a first day that saw two Notre Dame records fall, the Irish went right back to work breaking records Thursday in day two of the 2014 ACC Championships at Greensboro Aquatic Center in Greensboro, N.C.

On Wednesday, the Irish 200-yard medley relay, which finished fifth, and 800-yard freestyle relay, which finished third, set new school marks, and both qualified for NCAA Championships at the end of March.

Thursday’s action started with senior and two-time All-American Frank Dyer, who broke his own team record in the 50-yard freestyle with a blistering time of 19.59 seconds. During the finals for that event, Dyer swam a time of 19.62, which tied the original school record to claim seventh place.

Irish senior Frank Dyer competes in the Shamrock Invitational on Jan. 31. Dyer set a Notre Dame record in the 50-yard freestyle at the ACC Championships on Thursday.
Dyer was not done there, as he contributed a time of 19.57 for the lead leg of the 200-yard freestyle relay. The team of Dyer, junior All-American Zach Stephens, sophomore Matthew Buerger and freshman Kevin Bradley combined for a time of 1:18.72, which earned them an NCAA B-cut for the event.

Stephens became the first individual Irish swimmer in the history of the program to finish at the podium of the ACC Championships, swimming a 1:44.01 for second-place honors in the 200-yard individual medley as well as All-ACC honors. Senior co-captain Colin Babcock earned himself an NCAA B-cut in the same event by clocking a final heat time of 1:45.68.

Junior All-American John Williamson picked up an NCAA B-cut in the 500-yard freestyle, finishing 11th overall with a time of 4:23.22. He was followed immediately after by junior Kevin Hughes (4:23.26) and freshman Tom Anderson (4:24.06) in 12th and 13th place, respectively.

The Irish currently sit in fifth place in the standings, with 325 total team points. The current leader is North Carolina State with 415 total points.

The Irish resume competition Friday at the Greensboro Aquatic Center, with preliminary heats for the 400-yard individual medley, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke and 100-yard backstroke beginning at 11 a.m.