Belles fall 12-7 to Aurora

In the first game since returning from its trip to Memphis, Saint Mary’s showed glimmers of hope but ultimately came up short in a 12-7 loss to Aurora on Thursday.

Freshman midfield Aubrey Golembieski scored the opening goal for the Belles (0-5) three minutes into the game, but the Spartans (1-3) quickly responded by netting five goals in a ten-minute span. Spartans defense Rachel Cochran and midfield Jordan Nielsen, both sophomores, each contributed two goals.

The Belles rebounded and fought their way back into the game with a 4-1 run, including two goals from freshman defense Jackie Loesch. Belles coach Amy Long said she was impressed with how the team created better shots, which the Belles had stressed heading into the game.

“We definitely showed improvement on offense, scoring the most in our season so far,” Long said. “We were able to slow the game down on offense and take quality shots instead of forcing it.”

By halftime, the Spartans had extended their lead to 8-5, and they added three more goals by midway through the second half, while shutting out the Belles. Cochran added two more goals for Aurora as part of another 5-0 run as Saint Mary’s struggled to generate offense.

As the game wore down, Golembieski notched two more goals for the Belles, her third and fourth of the game, and her ninth and tenth of the season. The game, however, was too far out of reach, and the Belles lost by a final score of 12-7. Still, Golembieski’s effort did not go unnoticed by Long.

“Aubrey had a great game today, winning the majority of the draws she took and taking quality shots resulting in 4 goals,” she said.

Long said she had seen improvement each game and expected that to continue heading into Saturday’s matchup against Concordia.

“Tonight was our best game yet, and I expect Saturday's game with Concordia to become our new best game,” she said. “That's the goal, to continue to improve each game.”

The Falcons (2-0) feature a high-powered offense and have allowed just 15 shots on goal on defense. They won their opening games of the season by large margins, beating Benedictine, 22-5, and Augsburg, 16-2. They are led by junior midfield Sammi Reiter, who already has nine goals, 11 draw controls and 15 ground balls on the season.

“We will continue to work on taking care of the ball in the midfield,” Long said. “We had less turnovers today but that's definitely something we want to continue to work on.”

The Belles will head to Mequon, Wis., to square off against the Falcons on Saturday at 4 p.m.