-

-

SMC Tennis

Belles, Faller blank Olivet

| Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Saint Mary’s started its conference slate off on the right foot Sunday, winning 60 of 64 games contested en route to a 9-0 victory over Olivet.

The Belles (5-3, 1-0 MIAA) got out to a hot start against the Comets (0-2, 0-2) in the doubles matches, snagging wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles without dropping a game. Senior co-captain Mary Catherine Faller and junior Kayle Sexton took the win at No. 1 doubles while sophomores Margaret Faller and Andrea Fetters also swept their opponent at No. 3 doubles.

The strong showing continued for the Belles in the singles matches where they continued to perform well and sweep Olivet in the singles matches. Mary Catherine Faller swept her opponent at No. 1 singles while Sexton dispatched her opponent quickly at No. 2 singles. Juniors Jackie Kjolhede and Shannon Elliott won in twelve straight games at Nos. 3 and 4 singles respectively.

“It was an overall team effort,” Belles coach Dale Campbell said. “We had control of the matches but I appreciated the focus of the team and to try and improve as they were playing their matches. I think they did a good job with that.”

The win was a first step towards a top-four spot in the MIAA and postseason qualification for the Belles, but Campbell said that he didn’t want to get carried away after one game.

“The standings aren’t important now other than that we won our first conference match,” Campbell said. “All conference matches are important.”

The Belles are back in action Thursday as they travel to Marion, Ind., to take on No. 17 Indiana Wesleyan in a non-conference contest.

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex