Belles win four in a row

Over spring break, Saint Mary’s began its season by capturing wins in six out of 10 contests in the Gene Cusic Classic in Cape Coral, Fla. The Belles (6-4) started the Classic by losing four of their first six matchups, but finished with four straight wins while allowing just four runs and scoring 28 of their own.

Belles sophomore first baseman Jillian Busfield mans first base during Saint Mary's 5-1 home win over Defiance on March 28 last season.
Belles sophomore first baseman Jillian Busfield, sophomore third baseman Kayla Chapman, freshman shortstop Caitlyn Migawa and senior pitcher Callie Selner led Saint Mary’s offensively. The four Belles hit a combined batting average of .385 and delivered 16 RBIs. Selner finished the week with five doubles and five RBIs while Busfield hit three doubles and had seven RBIs, including Saint Mary’s only home run of the games.

Selner had success from the mound, as well. In six appearances, Selner won four of her five starts while posting a 1.98 ERA and 47 strikeouts, Selner’s strikeout total currently ranks third in the MIAA conference. Moreover, Selner won the 40th game of her career, ranking her first overall in the program history. The Belles also got a strong performance from sophomore pitcher Sarah Burke, who won two of her five starts and struck out 45 batters.

The Belles’ most lopsided victory of the trip came in a 13-1 win against Wentworth Institute on March 12, The Belles followed up that victory by unleashing an offensive attack against their next three opponents, winning 8-0 against Bethany Lutheran on the same day, 3-0 against Wooster and 4-3 against Curry on Thursday.

Sitting in the third spot in the MIAA conference standings, the Belles trail Trine University (10-1) and Olivet College (10-1).

Saint Mary’s will play its home opener against Wheaton on Saturday at the Saint Mary’s College softball field at 1 p.m.