Irish begin outdoor season

The Irish kick off their outdoor season the week, with 18 athletes competing in the Texas Relays in Austin, Tex., starting Wednesday and 27 racing at the Victor Lopez Invitation in Houston on Friday and Saturday.

Irish graduate student Ted Glasnow races at the Notre Dame Invitational on Jan. 25. Glasnow participated in the decathlon Wednesday.

Irish coach Joe Piane touched on his goals for the weekend.

“We would like to see [graduate student Ted Glasnow] place high at the Texas relays and place high in the country,” Piane said. “I’d like to see our men’s and women’s miles do well. We are hoping to get a lot done down there.”

Still in South Bend on Wednesday afternoon, Piane was following the results closely, again mentioning Glasnow.

“Ted has got 2250 points after the first three events, so hopefully that should get him to 3700 or better,” Piane explained. “That would be a very, very good first day.”

Glasnow participated in the men’s decathlon, in which he placed 16th in the 100-meter dash (11.2 seconds), 14th in the long jump (6.7 meters), third in the shot put (13.78 meters), 14th in the high jump (1.81 meters) and 10th in the 400-meter dash (51.22 seconds).

Thus far, the Texas Relays have only completed the Women’s Heptathlon and the Men’s Decathlon. Glasnow was the only Irish runner to compete at the Texas relays Wednesday. The remainder of the Irish competitors will begin preliminary races today.

These being the first outdoor meets of the year, Piane made it known that there was no change in mentality during the events.

“Track is track,” Piane said. “If you are running the 400-meter inside, you are still going to be running 400 meters outside. The people it does affect are the people without indoor events, like discus throwers. They have got a little bit of adjusting to do, but nothing too drastic.”

The Texas Relays continue today, and the Victor Lopez Invitation begins Friday as the Irish continue to strive for a solid start to the outdoor season.