Irish take 13th at Lone Star Invite

Following their strongest round of the spring, the Irish failed to carry their momentum into Tuesday, coming in 13th place at the Lone Star Invitational at the Briggs Ranch Golf Club in San Antonio.

The event took place Sunday to Tuesday and concluded with the Irish shooting a three-day score of 886.

Sixteen strokes off Monday’s 284, Notre Dame’s third-round score of 300 was the day’s 12th-best in a field of 15 teams. Additionally, the Irish were just five strokes away from 10th-placed UT Arlington in a competitive tournament. In fact, only the invitational’s champion, No. 19 New Mexico, finished every round under par.

Junior Patrick Grahek tees off at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf  Classic at the Warren Golf Course on Oct. 9, 2012.
Junior Patrick Grahek tees off at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic at the Warren Golf Course on Oct. 9, 2012.
For the Irish, senior captain Niall Platt led the way with team-best rounds both Monday and Tuesday. During the three days, Platt shot a 2-under-par 214 to finish in a tie for 12th place individually. His round average of 71.33 was just better than his season average of 72.

Besides Platt, freshman Liam Cox also contributed a strong effort by rebounding after a 79 in his Sunday round. Improving significantly in the meet’s final two days, Cox shot a 71 and 75 Monday and Tuesday, respectively, to finish with a 225 over the three days. Both scores were lower than his season average of 76.00 per round.

Finishing second for the Irish was junior Patrick Grahek, whose 220 was good for a tie for 30th place. Grahek was Notre Dame’s most consistent golfer, shooting a 72 in each of the first two rounds and a 76 Tuesday. That three-day mean, 73.33, is also better than Grahek’s average of 74.67 through his first 16 rounds this season.

Also competing were freshman Matt Rushton and senior Andrew Carreon, who shot a 227 and 238, respectively. Rushton and Carreon both took a step back Tuesday, adding six and four strokes each in the invitational’s final day.

The Irish next travel to Kannapolis, N.C., on April 5 for the Irish Creek Golf Club’s Irish Creek Collegiate.