Saint Mary’s welcomes prospective first years

Accepted members of Saint Mary’s class of 2018 were invited to the College Sunday for Meet Me at the Avenue, a program for students to meet each other and learn more about the campus community. Vice president for enrollment management Mona Bowe said Meet Me at the Avenue is important for prospective students because it is often a young woman’s first visit to campus and the first opportunity for students to meet one another. “Students get to talk to other students and meet their future classmates,” Bowe said. “There are still many months to make decisions about college so [Meet Me at the Avenue] allows students to answer questions they have.” The day began with a ceremony to welcome accepted students to campus, Bowe said. Saint Mary’s president Carol Ann Mooney welcomed students, as well as Sister Veronique Wiedower, vice president for Mission. Incoming student body president McKenna Schuster welcomed the young women on behalf of Student Government Association and the larger student body. Bowe said the prospective students heard from many departments on campus throughout the day, including Information Technology, Sodexho Dining Services and Student Accounts, to discuss the next steps of the acceptance process. This year, the admissions office received the largest number of applications in the recorded history of Saint Mary’s, Bowe said. The office received about 1660 applications, but Saint Mary’s plans to keep the class size at about 430 women. Current students served as greeters, panelists and tour guides in each of the buildings on campus, Bowe said. “We always get comments from visitors about how friendly our students are,” Bowe said. “We want to thank the community for their help.” Junior Rachel Wall served as a student liaison for the Rome study abroad program at the event. She spoke with students interested in the program about her own study abroad experience in Rome and how it shaped her overall Saint Mary’s experience. “The College offers such a unique experience to its students that it would be a shame for anyone to pass it up,” Wall said. Wall said she hoped to get the prospective students and their parents excited about the opportunities that Saint Mary’s and the Rome program have to offer. The day provided an opportunity for current students to interact with prospective students during the academic open house, Wall said. Students and professors from their respective departments discussed what common classroom and study abroad experiences are like at Saint Mary’s. “Meet Me at the Avenue is important to Saint Mary’s because it occurs at a pivotal point in a high school senior’s year,” Wall said. “Saint Mary’s has the opportunity to seal the deal in the minds of the student’s visiting campus. “For many prospective students, today marks the day they can finally see themselves at Saint Mary’s.” Wall said the event served as a pleasant reminder of her own decision to come to Saint Mary’s. “Being involved with Meet Me at the Avenue has made me realize how quickly my time at Saint Mary’s has flown by,” Wall said. “Not too long ago, I was in the shoes of the seniors visiting campus today. … I’m hopeful that all of these young women will find a special place in their heart for Saint Mary’s College.”