-

-

Schuster/Moorhead win election

| Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The results of the Saint Mary’s Student Government Association (SGA) election for student body president and vice president were announced Tuesday morning after an all-day voting period Monday on OrgSync.

Juniors McKenna Schuster and Sam Moorhead won the election over juniors Nicole O’Toole and Marissa Pie’, director of student involvement Stephanie Steward-Bridges announced in a schoolwide email.
Steward-Bridges said more than 500 votes were cast in this election, tripling last year’s voter participation.
Schuster, who will serve as student body president, said she received the news via text from running partner Moorhead before giving a presentation in class.
“I was so excited,” Schuster said. “I called my parents right away. I am looking forward to the upcoming year, [because I have been] hearing more and more great ideas from people that make me look forward to actually be able to do something about them.
“I can’t wait to get the ball rolling.”

Incoming student body president McKenna Schuster (right) and vice president Sam Moorhead (left) will take office April 1.Photo Courtesy of McKenna Schuster

Incoming student body president McKenna Schuster (right) and vice president Sam Moorhead (left) will take office April 1.

Schuster said the duo’s goals for the upcoming year can be encapsulated by three words: communication, involvement and sisterhood.
“That’s the bottom line of our platform, and it pretty much summarizes what we want to emphasize throughout the year,” she said. “Our major points are firstly transparency between the student government and the student body, along with better communication amongst all members of SGA.”
Next, she hopes to inspire more students to be more involved in clubs, sporting events and other campus activities that apply to the student body as a whole and tie together the sisterhood of the College.
“There are so many opportunities at Saint Mary’s, and by encouraging students to attend new things, more women can come to know how great Saint Mary’s really is,” Schuster said.
The pair also said they would like to plan special events during first-year orientation, for that is where students’ love for Saint Mary’s first begins.
“We aren’t just working for our senior year, but for the whole student body for years to come,” Schuster said. Moorhead, who will serve as the upcoming student body vice president, said she has been involved in SGA for the past couple of years and is looking forward to having a bigger leadership responsibility.
“I have gotten to see how the systems work,” Moorhead said.  “I think I’m most excited to start working on our new ideas and deciding what will be the best structure for SGA in the future, and to then implement these great ideas and work to improve the system that already exists.
“I think McKenna and I will make great contributions, and we can’t wait to get to know everyone on campus a little better.”
Current student body president Kat Sullivan said both Schuster and Moorhead know what needs to be improved in campus life and in student government as a whole.
“They have good heads on their shoulders and are very articulate, and they see the importance of giving students a voice,” Sullivan said.  “I am excited to see how they apply that to their administration.”
Sullivan said her and current vice president Maddy Martin’s three main goals of communication, transparency and building community will also be at the core of Schuster and Moorhead’s administration.
“Maddy and I always thought building the community was most important, not only in our student government board but also in Saint Mary’s as a whole,” Sullivan said.  “I think [Schuster and Moorhead] understand this, too.
“Moorhead did a great job organizing Love Your Body Week this year, with so much student participation in all of the events.  I’m really excited to see how they increase that sense of community next year.”
Martin said by working with both Schuster and Moorhead in SGA in the past, she knows they are extremely determined young ladies.
“I’m excited to see how they continue to develop student government, in particular the senate,” Martin said. “I hope that they continue to strive to make Saint Mary’s a proactive presence in the greater South Bend community.”
Vice president of student affairs Karen Johnson said she is proud of the students for taking the elections so seriously and knows the new leadership will do an excellent job.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

About Kelly Konya

Kelly Konya is an English major bred on Catcher in the Rye and Roman cornettos.

Contact Kelly