Squad preps for five matches in five days

After losing its first two matches of the spring season, Saint Mary’s will attempt to bounce back during the team’s spring break trip to Orlando, Fla.

The Belles (1-2) will play five matches in five days, starting with a match against Cornell (Iowa) on Sunday. Saint Mary’s will then challenge both Bryn Mawr and St. Scholastica on Monday. After a day off, the team will play its fourth match, facing Wheaton on March 12. The next day, the Belles will complete their five-match stretch against Illinois Wesleyan.

Unlike some of its upcoming opponents, Saint Mary’s has a spring-heavy schedule, with 16 matches before the MIAA tournament. Alternatively, Cornell (Iowa) (6-10, 3-2 MWC) has competed in 16 team matches, leaving only four for the spring.

Though Cornell (Iowa) has played more matches this season, the Belles have competed more recently. The Rams have not yet competed in a match this spring, last playing in the MWC tournament on Oct. 19 and Oct. 20.

Though the Belles have yet to claim a spring victory, sophomore Andrea Fetters has been able to build upon a fall season in which she won the C Flight Championship in the MIAA Flighted Tournament. This spring, Fetters is undefeated in singles play.

On Sunday, the Belles will look to get back on track, as they take on Cornell (Iowa) at 11:30 a.m. in Orlando, Fla.