Sunday, May 12, 2024

Two injured in downtown shooting

Two men were injured in a shooting at the intersection of Michigan and Wayne streets near Club Fever early Saturday morning, according to a statement from police spokesman Capt. Phil Trent published in the South Bend Tribune. The two South Bend residents suffered non-life-threatening gunshot wounds in the incident, and police were called to scene at the 100 block of East Wayne Street around 2:30 a.m. Officers said they saw the gunman fire at a nearby parking garage with a handgun, the Tribune reported. When the incident occurred, a crowd was leaving Club Fever, located at 222 S. Michigan Street. Trent said several people were fighting, and both of the men who sustained gunshot wounds are believed to have been at Club Fever prior to the shooting. Officers approached a 29-year-old man whom they believed to be the shooter. The man had a gunshot wound on his hand, but no gun in his possession, Trent told the Tribune. Shortly after, a 28-year-old man entered Memorial Hospital with a gunshot wound to his forearm and said he was shot while getting into his car on East Wayne Street, the Tribune reported. Both men said they did not know who shot them. Officers recovered shell casings in the parking garage but no guns, and therefore could not make any arrests. Trent said a shooting downtown is unusual, according to the Tribune. The club’s website stated that Fever is open from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. on Fridays. The Observer could not reach a Club Fever representative for comment. Trent could not be reached for comment either.