-

-

SMC Golf

Belles head to Ohio for invite

| Thursday, April 10, 2014

After a poor showing last weekend at the Washington University St. Louis Invitational, the Belles have a chance to rebound this weekend at the Mill Creek golf course in Ostrander, Ohio, at the Ohio Wesleyan Laura Bump Invitational.

At the St. Louis Invitational, the Belles were competing against some of the top programs in Division III golf and were out of the running early on, as they ended the first day of competition in 12th place as a team, with junior Janice Heffernan and senior Alexi Bown tied in 51st place as the top-placed Belles.

Heffernan, who has been one of the top players for the Belles in both of their spring tournaments this season, shot 165 over the two-round tournament, a significant improvement from the 179 she recorded at the SMSU Invitational on March 14.

Leading the way for the Belles will be senior Paige Pollak, who posted the team’s best stroke average during the fall season and who posted the second-best score for Saint Mary’s at the SMSU Invitational. She struggled at the St. Louis Invitational, especially in the first round, finishing in 63rd place.

This will mark the first time the Belles have played at the Ohio Wesleyan Invitational or at the Mill Creek golf course. The forecast calls for temperatures in the high 60s with overcast skies and mild breezes.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report