-

-

SMC Tennis

Belles to take on Albion in matchup of unbeatens

| Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Saint Mary’s has its eyes set on a big win today as it travels to Albion for a matchup of two teams undefeated in conference play.

The Belles (6-4, 2-0 MIAA) have already tallied a 9-0 win over Olivet and an 8-1 victory against Trine, and head coach Dale Campbell said a win over the Britons (10-1, 4-0) would be important in his team’s pursuit of a top-four spot and berth in the conference tournament.

“A win in this match would be tremendous,” Campbell said. “[Albion] has beaten us in consecutive years so a win would be huge. Most importantly I want to get better but it’s time for a big win. We don’t care in what form it would come, but a win over Albion would get us out in front of many teams battling for tournament spots.”

Last time out, on April 1, the Belles dropped an 8-1 decision to preseason NAIA No. 16 Indiana Wesleyan, but Campbell said he took some positives from the defeat.

“We faced a lot of pace, solid serves and just all-around good players,” Campbell said. “If we can provide that pressure to other teams, serve better, return better and move as if we are playing against pace all of the time, it will help us to get comfortable against solid opponents. [The match] gave us some experience of what we will see moving forward.”

Today’s contest starts a busy stretch for the Belles, who will play three matches over the next four days and five over the next nine. Campbell said, however, that his team is taking things one step at a time.

“We will just focus one day at a time, get some good preparation, play a match, prepare, play, in that order,” Campbell said. “It’s important to have a good routine, a good warm-up and a consistent mental approach to play your best every day.”

The Belles take the court in Albion, Mich., against the Britons today at 4 p.m. before returning home for Thursday and Saturday home matches against Bethel and Alma.

About Alex Carson

Alex Carson graduated from Notre Dame in 2017 after majoring in Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics and living in O’Neill Hall. Hailing from the Indianapolis area, but born in Youngstown, Ohio, Carson is a Cleveland sports fan convinced that he’s already lived the “best day of his life.”At The Observer, Carson was first a Sports Writer, then served as an Associate Sports Editor (2015/16) and an Assistant Managing Editor (2016/17), before finishing his tenure as a Senior Sports Writer.A man of strong convictions, he ardently believes that Carly Rae Jepsen's 2015 release E•MO•TION is the greatest album of his generation, and wakes up early on Saturday mornings to listen, or occasionally watch, his favorite least-favorite sports team, Aston Villa.When he isn’t writing, Carson spends his time counting down the days to the next running of the Indianapolis 500 and reminding people that the Victory March starts with the lyric, “Rally sons of Notre Dame,” not “Cheer, cheer for Old Notre Dame.”

Contact Alex