My Brightest Diamond at The Pool

BrightestDiamond_RBG
Steph Wulz

Even before the launch of The Bridge Project, a movement organized by students and residents to connect Notre Dame and South Bend through the arts, I’ve seen some amazing, albeit very small, shows in the city. Since The Bridge Project’s formation, however, even more excellent live music has made its way onto campus and into South Bend at a delightfully accelerating pace, and My Brightest Diamond’s upcoming show at The Pool in South Bend is a perfect example of how great music is happening right in our own backyard.

A supremely talented singer/songwriter, My Brightest Diamond, also known as Shara Worden, has been performing her enchanting experimental pop music for the last seven years. She will be joined by a special guest opener, Nashville-based harpist and singer Timbre, who is no stranger to The Pool, but looks to be the perfect pairing with My Brightest Diamond to make for an evening of women who will bring powerful voices and gorgeous musical arrangements to the South Bend stage.

In addition to releasing four of her own albums, Worden has collaborated with a variety of musicians, including David Byrne and Bryce Dessner. She has toured with The Decemberists and even took on the role of cheerleading captain in Sufjan Stevens’ Illinoisemakers, touring and singing in his eclectic show. Playing venues including the House of Blues and Sydney Opera House, she has built an impressive resume during her diverse musical career.

Worden originally hails from Arkansas but is now based in New York. After earning a degree in opera and studying composition, she pulls from her classical and opera roots to make music that somehow blends classical, experimental electronic, pop and blues genres seamlessly in her work as My Brightest Diamond. Her songs call to mind an incredibly diverse array of artists, including St. Vincent, Dark Dark Dark, Fiona Apple, Imogen Heap and Andrew Bird, to name only a few, and creates an entirely unique sound in pairing her wide vocal range with multi-instrumental compositions.

While on the way to open for The National, My Brightest Diamond will be performing in The Pool, a high school indoor swimming pool turned apartment, turned unique and undeniably charming venue. The concert is a product of the work of The Bridge Project and especially of administrator of The Pool, Dena Woods, who was responsible for booking the in-demand artist for the exclusive solo show, as well as a laudable lineup of musicians who have performed at The Pool since 2011.

Also performing is Timbre, the singer/songwriter and harpist who, along with touring internationally with acts including Jack White and mewithoutyou, has just been featured on ABC’s “Nashville” for her folk rock stylings. Having released three albums and performed in acts ranging from bands to orchestras, the solo performance from the harpist is an opportunity to see the skilled musician up close and personally.

Between two such accomplished musicians and the intimate space of The Pool, this is the time for live music in South Bend. You can see My Brightest Diamond and Timbre this Thursday at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7 p.m. at 330 W. Colfax St., apartment 125.

Because of limited space, tickets for the show are $20 and can be purchased at brownpapertickets.com. For more information about purchasing tickets, The Pool and the performers, visit The Bridge Project on Facebook.