-

-

Coulter delivers Lincoln Day address

| Friday, April 11, 2014

Conservative political pundit Ann Coulter addressed a standing-room only crowd at the Carey Auditorium of the Hesburgh Library on Thursday night as part of Notre Dame College Republicans’ Lincoln Day event in a speech centered on health care reform, gun control and immigration.

Coulter said the Affordable Care Act, commonly known as “Obamacare,” made the familiar American concept of health insurance illegal in the United States and instead instituted a welfare program funded by insurance premiums. 

Ann Coulter, Wei LinWei Lin | The Observer

“Obamacare has made actual insurance illegal,” she said. “Insurance is … when a lot of people pay a small amount to a program, and then if catastrophe strikes, that will be paid for by the program.

“Hopefully you will lose your premium, hopefully you will not have a catastrophe strike, and your premiums will go to pay for other peoples’ catastrophes. That is not Obamacare. Obamacare is a welfare program, and money is collected via insurance premiums.”

Coulter said the policies written into the Affordable Care Act make it “the most regressive tax in history.”

“It is mathematically impossible to have all insurance companies cover everyone else’s smoking cessation programs, marital counseling, gambling addiction therapy, aroma therapy, speech therapy, hearing therapy and have insurance companies cover people with very, very expensive medical problems and provide insurance to people who aren’t paying their own insurance premiums and also cover me if I get cancer,” she said.

Coulter compared the Affordable Care Act to using car insurance to fund the United States Department of Defense.

“It would be as if we funded the Defense Department through car insurance payments,” she said. “So every month your premium would be $20,000, and your car insurance wouldn’t pay for both collision and liability.

“Either it would pay collision or liability, but it would buy car air fresheners for everyone. That’s Obamacare.”

Coulter said the passage of the Affordable Care Act would be almost impossible to explain to someone unfamiliar with the law. She said it passed because the Democrats claimed a majority in the Senate.

“If an alien landed and said, ‘Why did you people pass Obamacare?’ we’d have to explain ‘because the Democrats had 60 votes,’” she said. “That’s it. This major change to our health care was passed with one party saying, ‘Ha ha, we’ve got 60 votes.’

“Never before has a major piece of legislation changing everyone’s life like this been passed on pure party-line votes without a single vote from the opposing party.”

Coulter said the Affordable Care Act falls in line with the history of liberal political ideology, which she said leads to inefficiency.

“The history of liberalism is replace things that work with things that sound good on paper,” she said. “So now our entire health care system is going to be run by the people who run the Department of Motor Vehicles.”

Coulter said as public support for the Affordable Care Act has decreased, the only Democratic defense against criticism has been the lack of a Republican health care reform alternative. She offered her own solution based on free market competition.

“I have a plan,” she said. “It’s a little something I’ve been working on. I like to call it free market capitalism. My thought is we force insurance companies to compete for our business by offering good plans at good prices.”

Coulter cited the tax code, public education, the U.S. Postal Service and Social Security, among other examples, as economically inefficient results of government intervention.

“Liberals can’t learn from what is right in front of them: Anything provided on the free market gets better and cheaper,” she said. “Anything provided by the government gets worse and more expensive.”

Coulter also addressed the issue of gun control, particularly in light of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Conn., in Dec. 2013.

“After Newtown, [Democrats] were all on their high horses … but then senate leader, Democrat Harry Reid, couldn’t even get enough Democrats to hold a vote on the so-called assault weapons ban,” she said.

Coulter said liberals cite “bogus statistics” in an attempt to scare people away from guns, but she said she refuses to believe their arguments so long as liberals themselves continue to utilize “armed security,” such as bodyguards.

“As soon as politicians and these media bigwigs give up their guns or their armed security, I’ll believe them when they tell me that guns aren’t helpful,” she said. “Until then, they’re like stockbrokers telling you to ‘buy, buy, buy,’ while they’re selling, selling, selling.

“I think Americans know this. They know bald-faced hypocrisy when they see it.”

Coulter said the issue of gun control highlights her belief that as people become more educated about a topic, the more conservative their views tend to be.

“After all [the liberal] prancing around after Newtown … one year after the shooting in Newtown, support for gun control was the lowest it’s been in decades,” she said.

“And this is a corollary of the Ann Coulter theorem that the more people know about a subject, the more conservative they are. What happened after Newtown is there was a lot of talk about gun control on TV, and people who had never given it any thought got to hear the facts, and support for gun control plummeted.”

Coulter said she wished gun rights advocates would transfer their fervency into the immigration debate.

“If only immigration patriots had the self-confidence of gun enthusiasts, I don’t think we’d have to keep going through this amnesty debate every year,” she said. “The pro-mass-immigration people have the entire Democratic caucus.

“Recently, they have the media. They have many, many Republicans on their side. The only special interest group the amnesty people don’t have on their side are the American people.”

Coulter said the concept of “anchor babies,” foreigners coming to the U.S. for the sole purpose of giving birth to their child on American soil, stems from faulty logic and violates the true purpose of the fourteenth amendment

“The theory of anchor babies is ‘if I successfully break into your house, I get to own it. And if I don’t own it, then at least my kids do, but don’t punish the children, I told them we own the house,’’ she said.

Coulter said a shift in thinking has caused Americans to view immigration in a skewed way.

“It’s this weird idea that’s taken hold that it’s somehow unfair for America to skim the cream to get the best immigrants we can get,” she said. “I think we ought to be bringing in people who are better than us, not worse than us.

“What is the point of bringing in people who instantly need the taxpayers’ help? We’re not talking about our native Americans here. We know we have to take care of them. Why are we bringing in people we have to help?”

Coulter said the accusations of racism inherent in the immigration debate almost always misinterpret the issue, as immigration ultimately harms African Americans.

“Whenever this talk of immigration comes up, it is just shut down with the natural invocation of the word racism,” she said. “Well, I agree, I think there’s a lot of racism in the immigration debate, but it’s all on the pro-amnesty side.

“As has been shown in study after study after study, what our immigration policy does is bring in more than a million people a year, 90 percent from the third world, most of them low-skilled. And who does that hurt the most? It hurts low-skilled American workers … but most of all it hurts African Americans.”

Coulter said the debate would be altered if immigrants brought high-skilled labor and were more competitive in the labor market.

“I think if the immigrants we were bringing in were competing with senators, with journalists, with yuppies who need maids and nannies, we wouldn’t hear so much about compassion toward the rest of the world,” she said. “No, it hurts the most voiceless in our society.

“It’s one thing to apply quotas to make up for the Democratic policies of Jim Crow. It’s another thing to have affirmative actions and quotas for people who have never set foot in this country. We owe you nothing. If you have grievances, go back and address the perpetrators.”

About Jack Rooney

Jack is a 2016 graduate of Notre Dame, and The Observer's former managing editor. He is currently spending a year living and working for the University in Ireland, and writing columns to keep him busy. For more random thoughts and plenty of news links, follow Jack on Twitter @RooneyReports.

Contact Jack
  • Uncontroversial

Yes, this woman is disgusting, et cetera. But she is also stupid.

• Sparta of Phoenix AZ

Uncontroversial=another low information voter….

• sheesh

Coulter graduated with honors from Cornell University School of Arts & Sciences, and received her J.D. from University of Michigan Law School, where she was an editor of The Michigan Law Review. Now who’s stupid?

• Frank

And George Bush went to Yale…. Not even a great university can make a fool smart.

• sheesh

And Obama to Harvard. Point well made.

• Sheesh, can’t racists learn?

And College Republicans are at ND. Lots of points there.

BTW, Obama actually earned his way in and became a professor. Not even Bush’s daddy could buy that for his special needs son W.

• sheesh

We don’t really know if Obama earned his way in, now do we? Did you see any of his transcripts? I wonder why he won’t release them. Could it be that GW had a higher GPA than BO and John Kerry? A true liberal nightmare since they like to claim intellectual superiority. It appears, however, that your definition of smart is typical of all liberals: you’re smart if you agree with me.

• lolwat

“We don’t really know if Obama earned his way in, now do we? Did you see any of his transcripts? I wonder why he won’t release them.”

Are you listening to yourself? No one’s going to take you seriously if you argue your point with conspiracy theories

• sheesh

Right, I should just stick to ad hominem attacks.
            Do you have a theory regarding why he won’t release his transcripts? My guess is that he’s not really the Mensa candidate you bought into when you voted for him. Can you imagine the sadness of the liberal world if they were to learn that the smartest man on the planet was actually a “C” or “D” student?

• Rush is my God

Wow. Because after all he’s really Kenyan, right?

• sheesh

Is that your real theory? Seriously, why won’t he release his transcripts?

• SheeshandShong

Seriously, why won’t he tell us about 9/11 and Benghazi?

• sheesh

Are you changing the subject because you are having a hard time with the fact that the worst hoax ever was made possible by people like you? People who were duped by all that talk of hope and change and fairies flying? Face it, you were duped, Coulter mocks you for falling for this hoax, and you can’t stand it, especially when it’s coming from a woman.

• Joepalooka1

geeez …always play’n the race card…typical Lib stance.

• lolwat

I never said I voted for Obama or believed that he was a MENSA genius. I never said every liberal thinks Obama is the smartest world on the planet. You’re just spewing out a bunch of hyperbolic responses to things no one said.

And besides, all of this is off-topic. Back to your defense of Ann Coulter’s intelligence: your educational credentials mean nothing if you’re a huge idiot and a bully. Bill Gates never graduated college but is a wildly successful businessman/programmer/philanthropist and a nice person. Ann Coulter has all those degrees from prestigious institutions but still makes ignorant, polemic, unfounded claims.

• Mensa

I am i MENSA, most of the members are pretty incompetent at practical stuff.

• el oh el

lol because grades really matter that much. Einstein’s parents were told he wouldn’t be able to tie his shoes and that he would be slow. And high priced universities full of college-prep rich kids existed when the constitution was founded. Common sense doesn’t come with a grade or a class. If it did, Ann Coulter would fail it. Obama, on the other hand, actually goes off the facts and doesn’t bullshit us. At least he admits there are flaws to the Affordable Care Act (not actually called Obamacare). You’ll never hear Bush admit to having no sound reason to invade the middle east besides a greed for their oil. Enough with the conspiracy theories. Why don’t you just look at the facts, or are those liberal lies too?

• MarkJReynolds

The previous 5 presidents released their college records. Obama refuses. He has earned nothing. A white candidate with a resume as thin as Obama’s would never have been elected. ” white guilt” put him in the white house. Our first affirmative action president.

• Lobotomy Now!

We also don’t know if he’s responsible for the Malaysian jet disappearance!! After all, Malaysia sounds like his daughter’s name!! And, you know, this is really about Benghazi. Someone on that jet had vital information about the TRUTH behind Benghazi. Obama dissaparated that jet because it held is Kenyan birth certificate and his transcripts which show that Bush was really smart. Because Jesus is returning soon….And W. is smart. We really don’t know the answers to all these questions! So let’s investigate!

• sheesh

How does one dissaparate a jet?
            So what’s your theory on the refusal to release the transcripts? I know, perhaps it’s because he’s so smart he doesn’t want to make the rest of us feel bad about ourselves. That way, when we use words like dissaparate, we won’t feel quite so bad.

• LiterallyObama

Why stop with his college transcripts? I say he should release his grade school report cards so we can really see if he’s smart. And any leftover drawings put up on the fridge, too. But why stop there? I want to see his full immunization records and his family’s tax returns for the year he was born. We should also probably be able to see the birth video, just to be sure.

See how ridiculous that sounds? Perhaps Obama isn’t releasing his transcripts because they’re irrelevant and unimportant.

• Roy

You misspelled “disapparate.” It’s okay, perhaps Harry Potter is a bit too intellectually taxing for someone like you. Stick to Harold and the Purple Crayon.

• sheesh

Silly, Roy, you failed to note that I was actually mocking Lobotomy Now for his misspelling of the word. Typical liberal using half the story to support his mistaken conclusions. Nice president you gave us there, by the way.

• Joepalooka1

witty (nonsensical as well).

• Joepalooka1

THEN (agreeing w you), I”M SMART!

• Joepalooka1

w a higher GPA than John Kerry at Yale.

• victor soma

Now that’s rich. All I hear from you damn teabaggers is how elitist college graduates are and how socialist all colleges are.
        So by your definition, Coulter is a socialist and an elitist.
        Suck on that, idiot.

• sheesh

Keep it classy, Vic.

• Tedbaxter

“Uncontroversial” is a good name for you, sir, in this new, intolerant, leftist- Orwellian age. But, I am grateful for the balanced article. The comments online here are not as crazy as one finds on other sites. ND, you make me proud to be an alum.

• Ann Coulter is absolutely brilliant and I agree with everything she has to say. Stupid? LOL. Stupid is Obama and his commie friends.
    http://sellingthesecondamendment.com

• Peter Castle

Sadly, Ann Coulter remains a notorious spokesman for conservatism even as conservatives have become embarrassed by Ann Coulter. She has been going over the edge for over a decade. She is not an advocate for conservatism – she is an advocate for Ann Coulter. A growing number of people are discovering that we should Never Trust Ann Coulter – at ANY Age, at http://www.coulterwatch.com/never.pdf.

• sheesh

Speak for yourself. I don’t know many conservatives who are embarrassed by her. I love the way she puts things in context. Ya, sometimes she makes cringeworthy statements, but that’s her schtick and she does it quite effectively.

• Frank

Yeah, let’s love her for being a grenade launcher.

• sheesh

You’re probably more of a Maher kind of guy, huh?

• Frank

Sure, he’s smart. I despise the Taliban, terrorists, and all anti-intellectuals just like Maher does. Ann is not a real American.

• sheesh

Don’t forget the cries of raaaaaaaaaaaacism.

• WAP1102

This is a good summary of Ann Coulter’s perspective — a sound, reasoned view based on traditional American values. The critical comments below attack Coulter personally — not her arguments for preserving the American-Way*. Lefties hate debating ideas and prefer childish name calling. Can you imagine anyone calling Coulter “stupid.” Ironically, these same low-information leftists are the first in line to usurp the benefits that the traditional American-Way* has provided for them.

*The American-Way ― *The American Prosperity Machine: Traditional Judeo/Christian principles and values . . . the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness . . . freedom of speech, action, religion and family governance . . . an educated and informed society . . . freedom from gender and racial discrimination . . . affordable healthcare . . . the rule of Constitutional Law . . . the peaceful settlement of disputes . . . honest elections and presidential leadership . . . patriotic, truthful, checks-&-balanced, limited government . . . a strong military . . . cost-effective national defense . . . secure borders . . . the right of citizens to own and bear arms . . . free, competitive markets and institutions . . . properly-regulated, free-enterprise . . . balanced trade . . . private property rights . . . low cost, domestically supplied energy and natural resources . . . individual responsibility . . . controlled immigration . . . entrepreneurialism . . . a strong work ethic . . . full employment . . . fair pay . . . appropriate safety nets . . . low taxes . . . a strong, reliable currency . . . financial availability, mobility, and responsibility (balanced budget, minimal debt) . . . Competitive, Free-Market, Free-Enterprise, Constitutionally Limited Government . . . and American Exceptionalism.
    William A. Pauwels, Sr.
    ND 1960
    wap1102@ix.netcom.com

.

• George

Dear sad ND alum: Coulter is a sorry excuse for a republican and an American. She brings the sophistication of a five year old to an adult conversation on complex matters. It is no wonder that the party that nominated “W.” would also love the child-like, tantrum throwing Ann Coulter. Please read a book on American history and politics (not by Bill O’Reilly).

• WAP1102

In addition to your highly intellectual, name-calling critique of Coulter, personally – what specific points in her presentation bother you so much? Did you read the article? Understand it? Or are you simply emoting a personal dislike. Calling her childlike suggests projection on your part. Coulter offers mature, well-thought-out arguments that should be discussed and, if necessary, refuted on the basis of logic and facts – not name-calling.

• Oy

They don’t like her because she doesn’t share their views. Free speech as long as your saying what they want to hear.

• Tedbaxter

As a fellow alum, I want to thank you, Mr. Pauwels, for your well reasoned, balanced comments.

• Great, so here we have a a play-by-play of every backwards thought that came out of Coulter’s mouth last night. I am much more interested in any questions the ND community had for her, and her responses (okay, I’m less interested in her predictable responses than the questions). Or, if questions were not permitted, I would have been interested in that, too.

• Alex

The ND community asked very good questions and Miss Coulter gave very good responses. As the event was open to the public, you could have come to listen to her speak instead of coming here to comment with the assumption that you didn’t like her comments or answers to questions.

• This is a newspaper — presumably for the purpose of providing information to the public who is out living their own lives and who may not have the opportunity to witness newsworthy events firsthand. And as for my “assumption” that I wouldn’t have agreed with what she had to say, it seems that based on what the reporter did bother to report, I was correct.

• 2+2=4

Author is from Alumni…it’s Wake Week…soooo there you go.

• WAP1102

The reporter conveyed what SHE said.

• Karl Pearson

The event was NOT open to the public.

• John

Ann Coulter: boob job.

• Tedbaxter

Ahh, the tolerant left and their one weapon: the ole’ ad hominem attack

• moderaterepublican

Ann Coulter now appears to be adding comments using the moniker “Tedbaxter.”

• Dev

Thank you College Republicans and your secret liberal saboteurs. You brought one of the greatest, living examples of all the reasons one should not be a Republican. Ann Coulter is a racist, angry woman. I especially loved the way she categorized Latinos and African-Americans as low-skilled. Her concern for them is so genuine. Sadly, many Republicans will eat this stuff up like potato chips. For the record, the greatest threat to job security in the US comes from the creeps on Wall Street. And, for the record, illegal immigrants do pay taxes and contribute greatly to the economy through their cheap labor. Ann Coulter needs to go back to college to read some books; better yet, she needs to go back in time to live in pre-Civil War Georgia where she will be the white queen superior to minorities— the dream she’s been writing about her entire “professional” career.

• Joepalooka1

I don’t like Coulter (nor was I there to hear her) BUT what article did you read (cause your assertions cannot be found within the article)?

• WAP1102

DEV, apparently, didn’t read the article or understand the well thought-out points that were made by Ann Coulter. Whenever you see a name calling response to a serious presentation on either side, you know your wasting your time on an intellectual lightweight.

• WAP1102

In addition to your highly intellectual, name-calling critique of Coulter, personally – what specific points in her presentation bother you so much? Are you simply emoting a personal dislike. Calling her a racist, angry woman suggests a projection on your part. She offers mature, well-thought-out arguments that should be discussed and, if necessary, refuted on the basis of logic and facts – not name-calling.

• Bri O’Brien

Further, about undocumented immigrants, you’re definitely more than right in saying they pay taxes and contribute to the economy. I cannot remember the exact number off the top of my head, but undocumented immigrants contribute over 6 billion to the economy without ever benefiting from it. They pay into social security…without ever being able to benefit from it. They pay sales taxes just as everyone else. When they use the tollways, they pay tolls just as everyone else does. OH WAIT, so, they take from US citizens? Nope, not at all. They do the jobs we are all too proud to do and do not complain about it. They risk their lives coming here in hopes of making a better life for themselves only to find a bunch of angry ignorant people listening to the shit Coulter spews out. They are not able to receive adequate health care. They do not get to apply for loans. They cannot own cars or their homes. They have to fight, every day of their lives, to hold on to a little piece of land they have come to call home. So, for anyone who says otherwise, you’re ignorant. If all you care about is the economics behind undocumented immigrants, then look at the facts. All the statistics show that undocumented immigrants do nothing besides help our economy. Seriously, everyone needs to start worrying about themselves and stop worrying about what other people are doing, especially when it does NOT AFFECT YOU IN THE SLIGHTEST BIT. Have some compassion and use your brains.

• Joepalooka1

agree in many respects, including ‘without (and SHOULDN’T be) benefiting from it’ of course; until they become legal immigrants.

• Joepalooka1

a staunch (Centrist)-Conservative I really don’t like the lightening rod stance Coulter normally takes (trying to make a buck I guess). I guess much like my viewpoint on most politicians, she has a narrow, often self-serving agenda and she makes it tough to narrow in on the actual solution (though this article does a pretty fair job of it…especially in the context of how terribly inefficient & expensive government managed programs are). She nonetheless is on the right side on a number of these topics. Obamacare certainly needs to be ‘replaced or repaired’.

• Guest

Joepa- I agree, but the terrible imbalance and bias against conservatives in this country today require a fighter like Ann Coulter. While the rest of us hide in fear of the new tyranny of leftist intolerance, she boldly speaks truth tho power. She takes the blows that the productive and honest Americans in this country are frankly just too afraid or busy or tired to take.

• Tedbaxter

Joepa- I agree, but the terrible imbalance and bias against conservatives in this country today require a fighter like Ann Coulter. While the rest of us hide in fear of the new tyranny of leftist intolerance, she boldly speaks truth to power. She takes the blows that the productive and honest Americans in this country are frankly just too afraid or busy or tired to take. I was a leftist during Vietnam, and the roles have been reversed today: we need more Ann Coulters.

• Joepalooka1

well said Ted. I fully appreciate your viewpoint…MAYBE a self-deprecating statement on her part to start the discussion (or maybe, within) on occasion, alongside her bold statements would cause more than her acolytes to listen (which would be good). We are soooo polarized today that it is difficult to find common ground (while adhering to our strongly held positions). THX. Appreciate your viewpoint.

• Roy

Yikes. What idiot let Bill the Butcher out of 1860’s New York to present-day Notre Dame? “Native Americans” indeed.

• Tedbaxter

Ann Coulter, thanks for having the courage to stand up to the hateful, intolerant left.