Hurricanes overpower Irish in ACC tournament

Despite putting forth a strong effort in singles play, Notre Dame came up short during the ACC championship, falling in the quarterfinals matchup against Miami (Fla.) on Friday in Cary, N.C.

The Irish (16-9, 8-6 ACC) fell to the Hurricanes (19-5, 15-3) by a score of 4-2, in a match that was prolonged due to two weather delays.

Miami built its victory on the back of its successful doubles play. The Hurricanes duo of junior Monique Albuquerque and sophomore Clementina Riobueno, ranked No. 11 in the nation, came out on top against Irish sophomore Quinn Gleason and senior Britney Sanders, who are ranked No. 15 in the nation, winning by a score of 8-2 at the No. 1 doubles spot. In addition, Miami sophomore Stephanie Wagner and junior Lina Lileikite toppled the Irish No. 3 doubles team of junior Molly O’Koniewski and freshman Mary Closs.

However, the Irish did not go down quietly, as evidenced by a pair of victories in singles play. After thunderstorms in the area forced play to be relocated to indoor facilities, Gleason defeated Hurricanes sophomore Kelsey Laurente by a count of 7-6, 7-6. Elsewhere, Irish freshmen Monica Robinson defeated Riobueno by a score of 1-6, 6-4, 6-4. However, the Hurricanes clinched the match when Wagner defeated Sanders in singles play by a score of 6-2, 7-6, with Irish senior Jennifer Kellner’s match against Lileikite left unfinished.

With the conclusion of conference tournament play, the Irish next play in the NCAA championship matches beginning May 9 at campus sites.