Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Irish face two over the weekend

After back-to-back victories against Marquette and Wake Forest, Notre Dame looks to continue its strong homestand as it faces off against two conference opponents in Maryland and Pittsburgh. The Irish (10-8, 3-6 ACC) look to improve their conference record as the season winds down by taking on the Terrapins (5-9, 1-7 ACC) and the Panthers (4-9, 0-9 ACC) on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

Irish senior Britney Sanders preapres for a backhand return during Notre Dame's 4-3 victory over Indiana on Feb. 2.
            The Terrapins have struggled in recent matches, but still feature strong individual performers. Sophomore Nataliya Bredikhina currently leads the team in wins with a 7-5 record in singles matches this spring. In their last matchup, the Terrapins were swept by top-ranked Duke by a score 7-0, with no Maryland player taking a point.

The Panthers are currently looking for their first in-conference victory this season, having come up short in their first nine tries. They are also currently on a four-match losing streak. Their previous matchup was also against Duke, who defeated the Panthers by a count of 6-1. The Panthers have had several bright spots, however, coming from individual performers. Panthers freshman Lolade Ogungbesan upset No. 31 singles player Hanna Mar by a score of 1-6, 6-4, 10-7. This was the only Panther victory against the Blue Devils.

The Irish are coming off of a more successful stint, having knocked off Marquette and Wake Forest. In both matches, the Irish have received strong showings from the No. 8 doubles team in the country, sophomore Quinn Gleason and senior Britney Sanders. Against Wake Forest, the Irish also received strong play from freshmen Monica Robinson and Mary Closs, who won both of their matches by counts of 6-4, 7-6, and 6-1, 6-7, 6-1, respectively.

The Irish begin their weekend play against Maryland on Friday and continues on Sunday against Pittsburgh. The first match on Friday is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.