-

-

ND Softball

Irish split with Seminoles

| Sunday, April 13, 2014

The No. 23/25 Irish split the first two games of a three-game series with ACC rival No. 7/8 Florida State on Sunday.

The Irish (25-9, 6-4 ACC) took the first game of the day with an 8-5 victory. The Seminoles (39-6, 16-3 ACC) are the high-ranked opponents that the Irish have defeated since 2002.

Tied after five innings, Notre Dame plated three unearned runs in the bottom of the sixth to take an 8-5 lead and shut out the Seminoles in the seventh to earn the victory. Sophomore infielder Micaela Arizmendi led the team with two RBI while Koerner and Simon tied for a team-high two runs each. Florida States redshirt junior shortstop Maddie O’Brien, last week’s ACC Player of the Week, led her team with two home runs and two RBI.

Irish senior pitcher laura Winter throws during a game on Oct. 10, 2013 at Melissa Cook Stadium. Winter threw a complete game in Notre Dame's 8-5 win over Florida State on Sunday.Zachary Llorens | The Observer

Irish senior pitcher laura Winter throws during a game on Oct. 10, 2013 at Melissa Cook Stadium. Winter threw a complete game in Notre Dame’s 8-5 win over Florida State on Sunday.

Irish senior Laura Winter, who was selected seventh overall in the 2014 National Pro Fastpitch Draft on March 31, pitched all seven innings for the Irish. In the day’s second game, sophomore Allie Rhodes started for the Irish and pitched eight innings before turning the circle back over to Winter.

The Irish held a four-run lead in the sixth inning of the second game, but the Seminoles rallied in the seventh and scored five runs. After a scoreless eighth inning, sophomore first baseman Victoria East and senior outfielder Kelly Hensley scored in the top of the ninth to ice the game for the Seminoles.

Redshirt freshman Jessica Burroughs and junior Lacey Waldrop shared the circle for the Seminoles.

Irish senior outfielder Lauren Stuhr led the team with two runs and Wester, Koerner, Arizmendi and junior catcher Cassidy Whidden contributed one each. Junior infielder Katey Haus earned four RBIs.

Monday’s game will serve as the tie-breaker of the series. The Irish take on the Seminoles once again at 7 p.m. Monday at Melissa Cook Stadium.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report