Mendoza receives No. 1 ranking

Mendoza College of Business has done it again.

The College pulled off a five-peat, achieving the No. 1 spot for the fifth year in a row in Bloomberg Businessweek’s 2014 ranking of Best Undergraduate Business Schools.

“What makes Mendoza unique among business schools is our clearly defined mission to develop leaders who view business as a force for good in society,” Roger D. Huang, the Martin J. Gillen Dean of the Mendoza College, said. “A lot of schools now say they have the same mission.”

Graphic_MendozaNo1
Emily Hoffmann | The Observer

According to a press release from the College, Mendoza’s undergraduate studies program ranked first in student satisfaction, second in academic quality and fourth in employer satisfaction. The College earned “A+” scores for teaching quality, facilities and services and job placement.

Huang said Mendoza’s top ranking this year is due to the efforts of many groups, programs and individuals across the entire University.

“The undergraduate admissions office recruits students who are passionate about their interests as well as high academic achievers,” Huang said. “The career center works tirelessly to place our students in jobs. The Division of Student Affairs is dedicated to providing students with the kind of experience that is the essence of Notre Dame.”

Huang said numerous alumni who help mentor and help students are also to thank.

“We describe ourselves as the Notre Dame family, and the ranking is a family achievement,” Huang said.

In the midst of the new digital revolution, Huang said the College has evolved to teach students newly important skill sets such as business analytics and social media marketing. In addition, he said, the global marketplace has replaced the domestic marketplace, which has elicited a need to educate students on how to obtain a “big picture” perspective.

“At Mendoza, we focus on what I call MAGI – Mission, Academic excellence, Globalization and Innovation. Together, these four areas encompass a lot of new developments, from coursework to international studies opportunities,” Huang said. “We must continually innovate to address the ever-changing business world.”

The College plans to continue expanding the MAGI vision, incorporating innovative coursework and expanding global programs to remain a trendsetter in business education, Huang said.

“The higher business education landscape is rapidly changing, and we have challenges on all fronts,” he said.

Huang said student comments published in Bloomberg’s survey spoke about business ethics, sustainability and corporate social responsibility permeating the classroom.

“That’s very inspiring and humbling for a dean to hear,” Huang said.

The magazine’s ranking, which was released April 4, looked at a total of 132 U.S. undergraduate business programs. The report was released on Businessweek.com.

According to the press release, University of Virginia’s McIntire School of Commerce ranked second and Cornell’s Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management ranked third.

Bloomberg Businessweek’s undergraduate business school rankings are based on five components: student assessment, academic quality metrics, employer opinion, median starting salary and a “feeder school” score.

The Mendoza College of Business, which currently enrolls 1,950 undergraduate students, offers students a choice of five majors: accountancy, finance, marketing, management entrepreneurship, management consulting and IT management.