Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Notre Dame races to Kentucky for Border Battle

Notre Dame will compete at the Border Battle in Kentucky this weekend after a drive to the University of Louisville.

This marks the third weekend of the outdoor season for the Irish, and while the men’s team is currently unranked, the women are No. 22 in this week’s poll.

Last weekend, both squads travelled to the Stanford Invitational in Stanford, Calif. There, Notre Dame runners posted some of the best times ran thus far in the outdoor season, with eight Irish athletes posting times that rank in the top 10 in the NCAA. This includes two 400-meter dash runners with top-five times, senior Pat Feeney (second fastest overall with a 45.56 run), and junior Chris Giesting (fourth place, 45.62). Graduate student Nick Happe, meanwhile, leads the entire NCAA in the 5000-meter run with a time of 13:43.55.

When the Irish travel to the Border Battle this weekend, they’ll be competing in a manner unlike their previous events this season. Notre Dame and Louisville will team up to compete against Indiana and Purdue in a battle of future-ACC teams against Big Ten schools.

After the first few weekends featured long plane-rides to warm locations such as Texas and California, this weekend will be the first road trip of the outdoor season for the Irish. While some storms are forecasted for Friday and Saturday, the temperature projects to be in the 70s all weekend. The relatively short trip to Kentucky will allow the Irish to take more athletes than their previous two events. As a result, 30 female athletes and 29 males will travel to team up with Louisville at the Border Battle.

The Irish and Cardinals shall join forces against Indiana and Purdue all day Friday and Saturday at the Border Battle in Louisville, Ky.