Olivet sweeps SMC

After starting 2-0 in conference play, the Belles extended their MIAA losing streak to four games in a pair of losses to Olivet on Saturday in Olivet, Mich.

In the first game of the doubleheader, the Comets (17-8, 5-5 MIAA) bested the Belles (10-10, 2-4), by a score of 5-2. Olivet scored its five runs in the first three innings, while Saint Mary’s was not able to cross the plate until the sixth inning.

Junior first baseman Cecily Reyes recorded a double to drive two runners home, but that was the last of the Belles’ offense as the game ended on a pair of groundouts.

Senior pitcher and captain Callie Selner suffered her second loss in a row, giving up four earned runs in two innings. Sophomore pitcher Sarah Burke was able to limit the Comets’ offense to zero runs, and she recorded five strikeouts after Selner’s exit, but the Belles’ offense could not take advantage of its defense in the final four innings.

In the second matchup against Olivet, Saint Mary’s was held to a single hit, recorded by sophomore designated hitter Moranda Hegedus. Burke faced more trouble against Olivet’s offense in the second game than in her first, taking the 11-0 loss while giving up nine earned runs on 13 hits in five innings of shortened play.

For the Comets, senior centerfielder Terri Hurosky led the way with four RBI off a triple in the fourth inning that drove in two runs and a single in the fifth that plated two more.

The Belles look to stop their four-game skid Tuesday as they face off against Calvin at 3:30 p.m. at the Saint Mary’s College softball field.