SMC choirs present spring concert

The Saint Mary’s College Women’s Choir, Collegiate Choir and Bellacappella will perform in the Spring Choral Concert Wednesday evening at 7:30 p.m. in Little Theater. The groups have been working on music throughout the semester and will be presenting a compilation of their works, Nancy Menk, chair of the College’s music department, said.

The Collegiate Choir will sing pieces such as Telfer’s “The Source of the Waters,” and the Women’s Choir will perform works such as Raminsh’s “In the Beginning,” Menk said. There is no overall theme for the concert, senior Catherine Cook said.

“It is just full of great music that covers a wide variety of interests,” Cook said, “Selections from the concert include a jazzy version of ’My Favorite Things’ by the Collegiate Choir, ’Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,’ ’The Village’ (a contemporary Korean folk song) and ‘Ave Maria’ performed by Women's Choir.

One song the audience will recognize is “Eatnemen Vuelie” by Frode Fjellheim, which was featured in the movie Frozen, Cook said.

This final concert will be a bittersweet experience, she said.

“So much of my Saint Mary's experience has revolved around Women's Choir and the girls I sing with,” Cook said, “I always look forward to performing with my peers and being able to showcase all the hard work we put in during rehearsals.

“From funny moments in practice, to sight-seeing on tours, to bringing ourselves to tears over our performances, we become a big family with Dr. Menk as our mom. It will be difficult to leave this behind,” she said.

Freshman Women’s Choir member Jaclyn Schramm said the atmosphere of this concert will be different since it is the seniors’ final performance. She is excited to sing Langager’s “Irish Blessing,” and she said she thinks students should attend in order to de-stress and support their classmates.

“[The concert] is a good way to relieve stress before finals, and it's really good music,” Schramm said. “I am definitely excited for this concert. We've been working on some really hard pieces and I can't wait to hear how they turn out.”

Admission is free for Saint Mary’s, Notre Dame and Holy Cross students. More information about the event can be found at saintmarys.edu/tickets or by calling the Moreau box office at (574) 284-4626.