-

-

SMC extends Earth Day celebration all week

| Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Saint Mary’s community will celebrate Earth Day with a week of activities hosted by the College’s Environmental Action Coalition.

Students will have the chance to assist in the Saint Mary’s Community Garden, located on the south side of Havican Hall on Wednesday evening, senior Coalition president Colette Curtis said.

“We are encouraging members of the SMC community to be more involved to see the many benefits that come with having a community garden,[including] the importance of growing your own food and knowing where your food is from,” Curtis said.

On Thursday, the average lunch waste per person will be measured during “Weigh Your Waste” in Noble Family dining hall, Curtis said.

“During this lunch period, we separate all the ‘edibles’ from the ‘nonedibles’ on the trays,” Curtis said. “We weigh all the edibles.”

Members of the Coalition will teach students how to reuse old t-shirts through a recyclable craft event Friday, and the week will celebrate locally grown food with a meal made of such ingredients Saturday, Curtis said.

“I believe it is important to know your farmer, share meals with friends and community members and learn how to cook wholesome, healthy food,” Curtis said.

Other activities include a nature walk Sunday and the showing of a film titled “Chasing Ice” on Monday, Curtis said.

“The Environmental Action Coalition is a group dedicated to bringing environmental consciousness to the Saint Mary’s community,” Curtis said. “We host events and activities to promote the healthy treatment of our Earth.”

After the week’s events, Curtis said she hopes students will become more aware of their impact on the environment.

“I don’t expect students to change their whole way of living after attending one activity,” Curtis said. ”However, I hope they recognize the impact they have on our Earth and what they can do to live in harmony with all the natural things of our planet.”

For more information on Earth Week events or to RSVP for Saturday’s dinner, contact Colette Curtis at ccurti02@saintmarys.edu

About Kathryn Marshall

Kathryn Marshall, Saint Mary's College '17, is a Biology and Humanistic Studies double major. Follow Kathryn on Twitter @kmarshallSMC

Contact Kathryn