SMC sweep Alma

Saint Mary’s was victorious over Alma on Saturday with a 9-0 win to mark senior day.

The Belles (8-5, 3-1 MIAA) said goodbye to lone senior Mary Catherine Faller, who had a hand in two victories on the afternoon over the Scots (3-13, 1-7). Not only was Faller part of an 8-0 win in the No. 1 doubles match with junior Kayle Sexton, but she also overcame a 4-3 deficit in the first set of her singles match to win in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, in the last home competition of her career.

The rest of the Saint Mary’s squad followed in similar fashion with sophomores Margaret Faller and Andrea Fetters claiming an 8-0 victory in the No. 3 doubles match. In the last doubles match, juniors Audrey Kiefer and Shannon Elliott were equally dominant, brushing aside their opponents with an 8-1 win.

When it came to singles, the Belles kept their momentum going. Elliott quickly set the tone with a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles, and this was quickly followed by Kiefer, who won her No. 6 singles matchup, 6-1, 6-0. Fetters continued the winning streak with a 6-2, 6-1 victory, while both junior Jackie Kjolhede and Sexton wrapped up the match with 6-0, 6-2 and 6-4, 6-1 wins, respectively.

Saint Mary’s will face Adrian on Tuesday, and Belles coach Dale Campbell said he was optimistic about the match against the Bulldogs (9-8, 2-5).

“We hope to have a good, solid match against Adrian,” Campbell said. “We are getting better and did a good job of closing out a lot of close matches against both Bethel and Alma.”

However, Campbell said, the real focus is on the Belles’ second match of the week. “We also have a huge match against Hope on Thursday, who is typically one of the strongest teams in the conference,” Campbell said. “Right now, we have to take one match and one practice at a time and come ready to play every day.”

The Belles and the Bulldogs meet Tuesday at 4 p.m. at MSFC Auxiliary Gym in Adrian, Mich.