-

-

Student arrested following break-in

| Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Police arrested Notre Dame freshman Brian McCurren early Sunday morning for allegedly breaking into and vandalizing a South Bend wellness facility, Therapeutic Indulgence, Saturday night, according to a WSBT report and McCurren’s attorney Stan Wruble.

“It would be premature to [comment] at this time since the investigation is ongoing,” Wruble, an adjunct law professor at Notre Dame, said in an email to The Observer on Monday night. “…I can confirm that Brian was arrested Sunday and released from the county jail late this afternoon.

“It is my understanding that no formal charges have been filed as of yet, despite other media reports to the contrary. I would expect formal charges to be filed soon.”
WSBT reported Monday that police arrested McCurren on charges of burglary, vandalism and underage drinking.

Kim Miller, esthetician at Therapeutic Indulgence, told The Observer that massage therapist Natalie Harling arrived Sunday for an appointment at the facility and discovered the break-in.

“[Harling] showed up at 8:30 or 9 o’clock and noticed that our front door was kind of messed up and our side door was pretty banged up as well, and when she did get in there was powder all over the ground,” Miller said. “… The police went upstairs and they found the guy in the kitchen passed out where he was surrounded by Hot Pockets and Drumstick ice cream.

“He had gotten into our freezer and just had a heyday. He was apparently very hungry. There was a frozen dinner in the oven that was burning and the smoke detector was going off.”

Miller said the intruder attempted to enter the business, which is located in a “historical house,” from multiple access points.

“He eventually got into the house because he tried all of our entrances and couldn’t get through,” she said. “Our Jefferson Boulevard entrance — he took a 100 pound concrete flower pot, threw it trough the glass door and entered our enclosed porch.

“There’s a second door, and we lock that, so he couldn’t get through the second door. He decided to take a hammer and beat his way through the wall, an interior wall to get into the place, so that whole wall is just completely obliterated.”

Miller said the intruder sprayed a fire extinguisher throughout the building but left the business’s valuables unmoved.

“He didn’t damage anything as far as our computers; he didn’t try to get our money,” she said. “Our desk is completely untouched. Basically it was like a rampage. He went on a destructive rampage.”

Miller said the man whom police escorted from the building was “completely messed up” and “wasn’t aware of what was happening.”

She said the employees of Therapeutic Indulgence had conflicting reactions to the alleged break-in and vandalism.

“I think that we were just blown away by how bizarre it was,” she said. “We’ve all been laughing about it because it’s just so insane, absolutely crazy, completely pointless, just mindless destruction.”

Miller said Therapeutic Indulgence will continue to operate but may relocate temporarily to the second floor of the Emporium building in South Bend.

About Lesley Stevenson

Lesley Stevenson is a senior news writer for The Observer after previously serving as News Editor and an Assistant Managing Editor. She is a senior from Memphis, Tennessee, studying Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) and American Studies and living in Breen-Phillips Hall. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @lcstevenson, and visit her website at lcstevenson.wordpress.com

Contact Lesley
  • Frater pro Fratre

Remember to pray for our brother who is clearly going through a hard time. We also need to pray for all those affected by his actions, including the spa owners and employees, Brian’s family, and the Notre Dame community. Communitas.

• Johnny Whichard

Before anybody decides to mock this situation, imagine if you had made such a mistake. This is a time to pray for our Notre Dame/Sorin College brother/brotter. Thoughts and prayers to the business affected and our brotter and his family.

• Baretta

Don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

• Huh?

He can, and will, do the time. What’s your point?

• Jimmy

We all should definitely keep Brian and everyone involved in our prayers. And maybe in light of this and other occurrences ND will rethink their draconian policies and remove the punitive officials that drive students to socialize off-campus as freshmen and sophomores and to move off-campus as juniors and seniors (but probably not). This wouldn’t have happened if he were surrounded by his friends in the dorm.

• Sorin RA

We should petition Notre Dame to provide free Hot Pockets and Drumsticks so that things like this don’t happen again.

• william duffy

It really annoys me when a student gets into trouble with the law. Thousands of hopeful high school seniors applied to Notre Dame and a relatively select few were offered admission. I am sure that there were many students who were rejected who would not put themselves in this young man’s situation. having said that, I do hope he sees the light and is given a second chance.

• Jim Gaffigan

It’s those damn Hot Pockets again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-i9GXbptog&feature=kp

• Patricio
  • Kimberly Miller

We are waiting on a public apology from Brian. After the initial shock wore off, the humor did as well. We are looking at THOUSANDS of dollars in damages, at least a month out of our space….not to mention we’ve spent the last few days moving everything, dealing with contractors, lawyers, newspapers…all while still trying to run our business. Each of our therapists run their own business, so it’s not like Brian broke into a large corporation with the funds to fix things and move forward. We are all on our own, and so far it’s all come out of pocket. If anyone should feel the need to pray, why not pray for the small local business owners that are reeling from this “mistake”?

• A Notre Dame Student

Are you really going to come into our community and tell us who to pray for? We understand he made a mistake, and we reserve every right to pray for whomever we like. I cannot believe you are coming into this public forum to demand an apology from Brian and to criticize our desire to pray for our brother. There are places for you to express your outrage, is the comment section of a student newspaper the place to do that? We support you and hope your rebuilding goes smoothly, let us rebuild our community according to our own desires.

• Michael

^Very rude and immature response. I did not get the impression that she was suggesting that we could not pray for Brian; rather, that we should also keep those victimized by this event in mind, as well. He certainly made a mistake and did not intend for this to happen, but they *certainly* did not ask for it, either.
        No wonder relations between the University and South Bend are so strained, when students are consistently so defensive, arrogant, and holier-than-thou toward our neighbors.
        Ms. Miller, I hope that your business is able to move past this incident as quickly and smoothly as possible.

• A Notre Dame Student

I am sorry you saw my response as rude and immature, that was not my intention. Here is why I was offended: She is clearly referencing Johnny Wichard’s above comment asking for prayers because that is the only place in this comment thread and article, other than our three comments with the word “mistake,” which she has in quotes. Johnny asks everyone to pray for ” business affected and our brotter and his family.” Three different groups. Ms. Miller responds “If anyone should feel the need to pray, why not pray for the small local business owners that are reeling from this ‘mistake’?”

Since Johnny already addressed the business owners, my interpretations was that she was outraged and did not want people praying for this young man. You must also keep in mind Ms. Miller is the same woman who has publicly stated (on her Facebook) “As if I didn’t HATE ND students enough….” and in reference to the media “If they can speculate that ND is full of drunken, violent, rapey students, that would be great.”

So perhaps you may understand why I harbor ill will towards Ms. Miller. No one was hurt. Brian will pay for her damages, hopefully. Her business has gained sympathy in the eyes of the public; there is no need for her to go and breed animosity, and I assume her lawyer would advise against it as well. If she would like an apology, Brian’s lawyer is the one to contact, she should not be demanding it in the middle of a public forum.

• Anonymous

The reason that relations between the University and South Bend are so strained is because residents of South Bend keep robbing students! Just this semester, a student was robbed at gun point just east of campus outside Irish Row on Vaness St., another was robbed ON CAMPUS outside of McGlinn, and countless houses have had their valuables stolen – some multiple times. Do students go on forums asking for public apologies from these criminals? Do they whine about having to pay for replacements out of pocket? At least Therapeutic Indulgence will eventually have their stuff paid for by Brian. But ND students? Nope, they’re SOL. So don’t blame strained relations on the students. Many students go out in the community and do service to try to build a stronger bond between ND and South Bend. If only residents of South Bend had a similar attitude; they could make this a much better place to live.

• Buzzard1022

How did you ever make it out of high school? You are an I idiot of the highest order.

• Marko

Some colleges are interested with talented students. The offer education and assist students build their talent as well. For example, there are colleges that educate students who are talented in soccer. The only students who are supposed to apply to such colleges are students who have soccer talents but not another student.
            Regards, http://www.researchpaperwritings.org

• uncle max

“He made a mistake” – he TRASHED their business. Given that undeniable fact they are well within their rights to say what they did. They are asking for a public apology from the kid. Is that asking too much? Of course it isn’t.

Put yourself in their shoes.

One more thing – at no point did she “come into your community” and try to tell you who to pray for.

• Another Notre Dame Student

You realize that this is the student newspaper right?

• Infidel Taco

Really? You think what she said was out of line? What if this Brian kid came and trashed your place, or a relative’s home or business? Would you not be outraged? Would you not be reeling at the huge financial cost of it all?

• Kimberly Miller

You know, I came in here to read my interview with Lesley, since I did it over the phone while we were still in the middle of the chaos, and I had no recollection of what I said to her.

If you’re going to quote me, don’t forget this one from the same post:

“The worst part is really that I personally know nd students who are GREAT. A lot of my clients go to nd or st marys…But over and over again I keep having extremely negative experiences with nd as a whole, and this is just another one I can add to the list.”

I’ve worked and lived near ND for over 10 years now. I’ve been verbally, physically, and sexually harassed by students and fans countless times. I don’t even go near campus or Eddy st during school anymore. Regardless, the things I’ve said about ND were worded pretty harshly, so for that I apologize.

I’m sorry if people think I’m being “whiney” but I’m not sure anyone understands the actual real life emotional and financial impact that this has made on us. We only just had our one year anniversary in Feb, so this is potentially ruinous to our livelyhood. Insurance doesn’t cover the loss of clients we’ve experienced in the last week. If you think it’s whiney to be upset that the career you’ve worked so hard for has just been demolished by a drunk kid, you’re highly insensitive and not making much of a case for ND caring about it’s surrounding community. It feels very much like our lives are seen as insignificant in comparison to Brian’s future.

The whole story is a huge joke, but he’s facing felony charges and we’re facing financial ruin. All because someone made bad choices.

• EHitzig

This unfortunate incident has serious repercussions for all involved.

No one should make light of Kimberley’s and others’ losses at Therapeutic Indulgence. If something similar had happened to ND alumni who are business owners, say in Berkeley or College Station, they would be outraged. In their anger, they likely would disparage Cal or A&M students, as well. That doesn’t justify it, it just shows the emotions that are involved in REAL loss.

Brian shouldn’t be demonized and made into a joke by people, either (which is not directed towards Kimberley). He is a person made in the image and likeness of God and deserves to be treated with dignity. When we dehumanize Brian and others who make mistakes, we often wish or do worse things to them than they ever did to us or others (because we don’t value them as persons). Obviously, Brian has to make amends for what he has done, but this one incident doesn’t define Brian, and if we make a definitive judgment about him, then we pretend to be God. Brian is someone’s son, brother, and friend. How would we feel and what would we do if he were our son, brother, or friend? God help us when we make a mistake or our children, siblings, or friends do.

The comments on this page show the real emotions of everyone involved. At some point, hopefully people on both sides will see the humanity and pain of the other. Perhaps anger, punishment, and retribution will give way to forgiveness, reconciliation, and restorative justice in the end.

At this time, ND administrators might rethink the wisdom in driving the University’s undergraduates off-campus, as well. ND use to be able to keep students on-campus in a developmental and safe environment which helped them transition from home and parents to living on their own after college. Current policies and enforcement prompt students to socialize and move off-campus. This alleviates the University’s liability fears, but it causes other problems that can be just as bad. Incidences such as this and strained relations with the community are just the beginning, and the problems are going to grow exponentially as ND’s traditional hall system is dismantled piece by piece. Here, too, the students are being dehumanized, this time by standardization of all sorts. This will lead both administrators and students to not see themselves in the other, which has and will create antagonism, at the very least.

• AL

Or they could just turn it into a “hole in the wall” Italian restaurant that serves really, really bad calzones.

• Little Blue Dillon

Look again. Alumni and Dillon. They’re both there for ambulance runs for intoxication. And BP. Not Zahm.