-

-

Administration plans ceremony

| Friday, May 16, 2014

The University will hold 19 diploma ceremonies in addition to other special events for campus groups and parents on the weekend of its 169th Commencement, University registrar Chuck Hurley said. 

ND_CommencementSteph Wulz and Lesley Stevenson | The Observer
Hurley said Thursday’s senior class prayer service and last visit to the Basilica of the Sacred Heart and the Grotto, as well as the service send-off ceremony and the Commencement Mass on Saturday, stand out as popular events for the weekend.“Undergraduates typically look forward most to their Sunday afternoon college or school diploma ceremony,” Hurley said. “That is the opportunity students and families have been waiting for all weekend.  It is the chance to walk across stage, have one’s name read and actually receive their diploma.”

“Personally, my favorite moment annually at Commencement is the Mass,” he said. “It is an extraordinarily holy event. 

“The Holy Cross clergy organize a wonderful celebration of the Eucharist for our students and families. Moreover, [director of bands] Dr. [Kenneth] Dye, the student musicians and the choir provide us with arrangements that are second to none.”

Hurley said the weekend demands a large amount of planning from The Office of the Registrar to coordinate every event and welcome about 25,000 guests of the 3,000 graduates to Notre Dame Stadium for the commencement ceremony.

“Planning for commencement typically begins in late summer,” he said. “Due to the sheer size of our Commencement, planning is happening nearly year-round.”

Hurley said The Office of the Registrar focuses on the logistics of academic ceremonies. 

“The Office of the Registrar coordinates the academic events of commencement weekend,” he said. “We help students and faculty obtain their academic regalia. The office provides the diplomas to all graduates. We reserve and coordinate event locations and schedules.”

A full list of events throughout Commencement Weekend can be found at http://commencement.nd.edu/commencement-weekend/schedule-of-events/

About Lesley Stevenson

Lesley Stevenson is a senior news writer for The Observer after previously serving as News Editor and an Assistant Managing Editor. She is a senior from Memphis, Tennessee, studying Film, Television and Theatre (FTT) and American Studies and living in Breen-Phillips Hall. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @lcstevenson, and visit her website at lcstevenson.wordpress.com

Contact Lesley