All I can do is say thank you

I’m glad I can’t capture what these past four years have meant to me in one column. But I can at least start to thank the people who have changed my life for the better. Here’s to you and all those who looked outside themselves to help me grow at Notre Dame.

Thank you to Jen, my freshman roommate and my first friend at Notre Dame.

Thank you to my first year advisor, whose name I cannot for the life of me recall, but who told me to read voraciously, an order I obeyed gladly.

Thank you to Meghan, Nicole, Iris, Nicole and Lissa. You taught me how to be a better roommate, a better woman and a better friend. I expect each and every one of you to keep doing that forever. Kthanks.

Thank you to Will and Denver, my Frisbee buddies and eventual best friends. We will always have Florida and coffee and Knott Hall Mass.

Thank you to Bill, for philosophical and not-so-philosophical discussions.

Thank you to Marisa, for talking to me about our faith. We are the most awkward, and it’s wonderful.

Thank you to Allan and Emily, my absentee Notre Dame parents. I owe you all the Jeni’s in the world.

Thank you to each and every member of Wild Flat: Maria, Maria, Margaret, Catie, Cat, Katie, Hope, Gina, Tate, Laura and Michelle. Paradise will be you, me and afternoon tea.

Thank you to Anre Venter, who gave me permission to pick and choose majors in order to take the classes I wanted.

Thank you to Deb de St. Jean, the lifeblood and biggest fan of The Observer. Josh — you rock.

Thank you to Tyler, for tolerating my annoying questions and for going on that cruise with us. Oh, and thanks for that cigar.

Thank you to Brad Gregory. I couldn’t ask for a better mentor or a better friend.

Thank you to Hanabusa-sensei, for teaching me all three Japanese alphabets and feeding me Pocky.

Thank you to Andrew, whose leadership at this paper brought everyone together, not just as a team, but as a family.

Thank you to my dad, Class of 1978, and your ability to challenge me to be the best version of myself.

Thank you to Matt. Thanks to you, I am a more honest, zombie-loving person.

Thank you to Nate, Amber, Natalie and Jen for choosing Seattle as your post-grad city, too. Game watches at my place?

Thank you to Adam for baking up a storm in Keough every Thursday night.

Thank you to Susan Youens for exposing me to Mozart — I had a new lease on life after your class.

Thank you to Dan and Gabriela, who have seriously taken Viewpoint to the next level this past year. Bravo.

Thank you to Joe Stanfiel for taking an interest in my mind, our friendship and my future.

Thank you to Leo and Andrew for ridiculous Glee Club memories.

Thank you to Kerry, John, Carol, Tara, Julie and Kerry for a delicious semester at Notre Dame Magazine.

Thank you to Lissa and Anita and everyone at the Career Center who miraculously taught me how to be a professional.

Thank you to Tori for making me your sister for a summer — Westfield will always hold a special place in my heart.

Thank you to Jeff for traipsing around Europe with me and helping me get lost in it all.

Thank you to Katie and Ray for an awesome summer playing in Chicago and for kicking my butt into almost-runner’s shape.

Thank you to Erin, ma soeur, who will experience and change this place in ways I cannot even predict.

Thank you to David O’Connor, without whom I never would have met Wallace Stevens, the poet of my heart.

Thank you to MC for strolling through Versailles and enjoying the romance of life with me.

Thank you to Fred Rush for almost not letting me take your class — it made me appreciate it every day.

Thank you to Dan for our God-filled road trip to Michigan. I can’t wait to go to your wedding this summer.

Thank you to Anthony, for your love and support, your poetry, for our cheesecakes, our crack-ups and our trips to Chicago. You’re a good man, and I am truly blessed to have you in my life.

Finally, thank you to my mom. You made all of this possible. I love you, and you inspire me every single day.