Saint Mary's Alumnae Association board selects Outstanding Senior

The Alumnae Association Board of Directors presented the Outstanding Senior Award to Malea Schulte, an art major and mathematics minor.

The award recognizes a member of the senior class who exemplifies the spirit and values of the College, president of the Alumnae Association Board of Directors Karen McNamara Weaver said.

“Tradition dictates that the recipient be someone who carries out the beliefs of her faith in daily living and is distinguished by scholarship, leadership and outstanding dedication to Saint Mary’s — as demonstrated through participation in both curricular and extracurricular activities,” Weaver said.

Schulte was nominated by Saint Mary’s art professor Julie Tourtillotte. Tourtillotte said she nominated Schulte for her exceptional academic record and exemplary service and leadership.

“Whether working on an ambitious senior comprehensive project in painting, serving as the student representative on our Board of Trustees and an administrative resident advisor, earning a certificate in intercultural leadership or leading Bella Cappella, Malea Schulte embraces every opportunity, works tirelessly and does everything very well,” Tourtillotte said.

Mollie Valencia, a senior member of the Alumnae Association Board of Directors, said Schulte has earned a positive reputation around campus.

“She stands out as a leader through her various extracurricular activities,” Valencia said. “In everything she does, she puts her whole heart into it.

“Whenever my committee needed any volunteers, she would be the first one to step. She is truly a person who embodies what it means to be a Saint Mary’s Belle.”

Senior Landess Kearns said she believes her classmate exemplifies the ideal qualities of a Saint Mary’s student.

“Her intellect, passion and character are second to none,” Kearns said. “This community means so much to her and she gives so much of herself to the College every single day.”

Schulte will travel to Rwanda with a service organization this summer, Tourtillotte said.

“[Schulte] has been an impressive and generous leader on our campus and has also embraced community service opportunities in Kansas City and Indianapolis,” she said. “In the fall she will begin an MFA program in community arts at The Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore.”

Schulte received the award May 12 at the Alumnae Senior Brunch, Weaver said.

“As the valedictorian represents the mind and the Lumen Christi Award recipient reflects the soul, the Outstanding Senior embodies the heart of Saint Mary’s,” Weaver said.