Season Recap: Belles win 10 games for third consecutive year

The combination of a prolific freshman goal-scorer and a strong finish pushed the Belles to a third consecutive season with at least 10 wins.

Saint Mary's sophomore forward Maggie Wenzel battles for the ball during the Belles' 4-1 win over Illinois Tech on Sept. 2.
Observer File Photo
Saint Mary’s (10-7-3, 8-5-3 MIAA) started the season with losses in four of its first six matches and dropped its first two conference matches. Then, after three straight ties, the Belles rebounded to post an 8-3-3 record down the stretch and secure a 10-win season.

The Belles finished fifth in the MIAA and had three players named to the all-conference first team.

Goalkeeper Chanler Rosenbaum and defenders Kerry Green and Mary Kate Hussey, all juniors, were honored. The Belles recorded seven shutouts on the season and conceded 23 scores in 20 matches.

Freshman forward Rosie Biehl led the Saint Mary’s offense with eight total goals, and 11 other players scored at least once. No other player besides Biehl tallied more than three goals.

After their slow start, the Belles put together a seven-match unbeaten streak in September and October, grabbing four wins and three draws.

The streak started off with three consecutive draws in conference play — 0-0 against Calvin, 1-1 against Hope, and 2-2 against Albion — before the squad reeled off four straight wins.

Saint Mary’s defeated Trine and Kalamazoo with overtime goals in back-to-back matches during the winning streak.

The Belles then dropped three straight matches before closing the season strong by recording another four-match win streak.

Saint Mary’s defeated Adrian, 3-2, in double overtime in its penultimate match before dispatching Trine, 5-0, in the season finale.