Campus Crossroads renovation to begin in November

The Campus Crossroads Project, the University's $400-million plan to renovate Notre Dame Stadium to include classrooms, a new student center and other facilities, will commence after the final home football game in November, the University announced in a press release Thursday.

The University unveiled the plan earlier this year with hopes of starting construction in November.

“We announced this project in January with the hope – though not necessarily the expectation – that we could begin in November,” Notre Dame President Fr. John  Jenkins said in the press release. “Thanks to the tireless work of many, plans have been finalized and funds have been raised so that we can, indeed, commence construction on facilities that will unite and inspire every member of our campus community for decades to come.”

Work on the east and west sides of the stadium will begin after the Nov. 22 game against Louisville, though the press release did not give a specific date. The University plans to begin construction for the new building on the south side of the stadium in Nov. 2015, the press release said. The entire Campus Crossroads Project, which totals 800,000 square feet, will be completed by Aug. 2017.

The building on the east side of the stadium will include classrooms, offices and labs for the anthropology and psychology departments, as well as a digital media center. The west building will include student facilities, such as a student center, meeting rooms and recreational spaces. The tops of both nine-floor buildings will hold stadium seating; the revenue from which will help pay for the project.

The department of music and the sacred music program at Notre Dame will eventually move to the six-story south building.

The press release said all the trees removed from around the stadium for construction will be replanted in other areas on campus, including the Cedar Grove Cemetery and the nine-hole Notre Dame Golf Course. Upon completion of the project, the University will replant trees surrounding the stadium.