Notre Dame names its 2014 captains

Irish head coach Brian Kelly announced Notre Dame’s 2014 captains Tuesday evening via his Twitter account.

Irish graduate student safety Austin Collinsworth, junior defensive lineman Sheldon Day, senior center Nick Martin and senior running back Cam McDaniel will serve as the team’s captains this season.

https://twitter.com/CoachBrianKelly/status/504390452796489729

During his weekly press conference Tuesday, Kelly said the Irish were still in the process of deciding and would likely have it “wrapped up” within the next 24 hours.

Left tackle Zack Martin, cornerback Bennett Jackson and receiver TJ Jones were the 2013 captains. Linebacker Manti Te’o, defensive end Kapron Lewis-Moore, Martin and tight end Tyler Eifert captained the squad in 2012. In 2011, safety Harrison Smith served as Notre Dame’s lone captain. Notre Dame used captains on a game-by-game basis during the 2010 season, Kelly’s first year in South Bend.

Collinsworth played in 13 games (making 11 starts) in 2013, following a lost 2012 season due to a shoulder injury suffered during spring practice. The Fort Thomas, Ky., native logged time in all 26 games during his first two seasons in South Bend.

The lone junior of the captains, Day stepped into a starting role in 2013 but battled an ankle injury, making eight starts. As a freshman, Day played in all 13 games and tallied 23 tackles.

Nick Martin started the first 11 games last season at center before missing the final two with a knee injury. His older brother, Zack Martin, was one of 18 two-time captains in Irish program history.

McDaniel led Notre Dame in carries (152) and rushing yards (705) last season and is expected to be part of a three-pronged attack along with sophomores Greg Bryant and Tarean Folston.