-

-

Together in the Alma Mater

| Friday, August 29, 2014

We, Notre Dame Student Government and the Unity Council of the Notre Dame Football Team, have met to discuss the Alma Mater policy for home games. After a few weeks of correspondence and recognition of the discussion at hand, we came together to bridge the sentiments of our undergraduate student fans and our student athletes.

As a community, both sides of the table understood the significance of singing the Alma Mater to our school and our respect for one another. The football team greatly appreciates the unwavering support from students. Our brothers have explicitly stated that the focus is not on them but on us, as unified students of a great university.

We also each recognized some of the challenges associated with guaranteeing that the team stay on the field even after a very tough loss.

We spoke in detail about these concerns, concerns that ranged from a feeling of embarrassment in letting the student fans down, to the few previous instances of players being booed off of the field. Our brothers, our football team, have chosen to remain after every home game, win or lose, to stand and sing the Alma Mater as one student body, united in mission and heart.

Students, we must choose to treat each player with the same respect. We must work to support our team even when the games are challenging or if there is a disappointing outcome.

The Alma Mater is a wonderful song praising Our Lady who unites all of us under one glorious banner: the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.We come together and ask that each of you understand our University’s values and our emphasis on treating one another with respect in the classroom, and everywhere on this campus. Now we ask that you carry our love for one another onto the football field and into the stands, as well. Together we will make this a great season and together we will win. Let us be tender, strong and true to our mission, as peers, supporters, fans and players.

In Notre Dame,

Lauren Vidal
president
Notre Dame Student Body

Corey Robinson
athletics representative, Executive Cabinet
member, Unity Council

Austin Collinsworth
graduate student
Football Captain

Sheldon Day
junior
Football Captain

Nick Martin
senior
Football Captain

Cam McDaniel
senior
Football Captain

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email viewpoint@ndsmcobserver.com

• Mark P. ND ’79

Great message of unity. Reinforces the idea that these are student-athletes, not disenfranchised mercenaries for the football program. It’s obviously much tougher to show support in defeat than to revel in victory. I look forward to joining in the tribute, whatever the outcome!