Belles best Scarlet Hawks on Felix goal

After a 4-1 road loss to Illinois Wesleyan on Sept. 2, Saint Mary's secured its second victory of the season and its first on the road, against Illinois Tech on Sunday afternoon, beating the Scarlet Hawks, 1-0.

The Belles (2-2) took a 5-3 advantage in shots in the first 45 minutes of the game, with four players - senior defender Mary Kate Hussey, junior midfielder Kathryn Lueking, freshman midfielder Gabby Guerra and sophomore forward Liza Felix - accounting for these attempts taken on goal. Lueking led the team with two shots, but both soared over the crossbar. A multitude of fouls throughout the first half caused the Belles to rely on a surge of substitutions. The period ended with an unsuccessful shot on goal by Guerra, but the Saint Mary’s defense held Illinois Tech (3-2) without any shots on goal for the first half of the match.

In the second period, the Belles earned a corner kick within the first minute of play, but failed to convert on the opportunity. Later in the half, Illinois Tech junior midfielder Adrianna Maron shot wide right of the goal. Less than a minute later, Scarlet Hawks sophomore forward Anida Phetchanpheng put up the team's first and only shot on goal. The attempt was unsuccessful, though, as Belles senior goalkeeper Chanler Rosenbaum blocked the shot to maintain the scoreless tie.

Saint Mary’s finally broke through the scoring threshold in the final 20 minutes of the game. After pressuring the defense and attempting 10 shots up to that point, Felix scored her first career collegiate goal and put the Belles up against the Scarlet Hawks, 1-0, in the 74th minute.

Despite continued pressure by Illinois Tech in the remaining minutes of play, the Belles were able to hold on and take the shutout win.

Saint Mary’s held an 18-6 advantage in shots throughout the entirety of the game and 13-3 in the second period alone. In addition, the Belles dominated the Scarlet Hawks in shots on goal, 11-1, and corner kicks, 5-1.

Senior goalkeeper Nicole Papiernik and Rosenbaum combined to post the shutout in goal for the Belles. Rosenbaum also had the lone save on the night for Saint Mary's.

The Belles will begin MIAA conference play when they take on Kalamazoo on Thursday at 4 p.m., at home, before playing conference rival Alma on Saturday.